Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aspen collar while sleeping?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm allowed to take my collar off only when I'm in bed, anyone else allowed to do this? I've heard some people need to have theirs on 24/7.

• My husband will be wearing his all of the time, except for showering, dressing etc. This will be for FOUR months!! I actually put it on to see how it will be for him. I think he needs a hand held fan---it seemed hot to me, and we had the air on!

From what I've read here, so many Dr's have different ideas. I think we would have to research studies to see who is right and who is overly conservative.

My husband is having one more level than you did---c4,5.

Linda MI
  • When I had my ACDF C5-6 6-7 I switched to a soft collar to sleep and eventually when I graduated to soft collar during the day I got to sleep in no collar at night. Make sense? My first week I slept in a recliner with my collar on as I was too scared to do anything else. :jawdrop:
  • I guess I should check with the doctor and see about a soft collar at night too. I'm afraid to move much at night without mine on.
  • Jeff,
    After my first surgery they told me that I did not need my collar on at night for sleeping, mine was a 2 level at c5,c6 and c6,c7 and only needed the hard collar while I was in a car or out in public where someone could bang into me. My OS's nurse called me three days after surgery and asked' are you wearing your soft collar?' I said yes and she told me to wean myself off of it so I did not depend one it. Looks like all doc's have different ways of doing things, so it would probably be best to just call and ask. Good luck.
  • 24/7 for 6 weeks was my experience. I had a waterproof one for the shower, but afterwards I had to put the aspen back on. It was very hot and I sweated like crazy in it. I was glad that I had two so that i could wash one while wearing the other one. I don't know if your doctor told you, but you can trim the foam around the plastic if it is too high and bothering you. I was thrilled when the doc said I could start weaning off of it at 6 weeks. I have a soft collar from my prior surgery that I wear sometimes now when I need the support, but the aspen is a thing of the past!!!!

Good luck Jeff. It is good to see you are posting post op. How is your recovery coming along?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • How the heck did you sleep in the Aspen? I have a hard enough time sleeping on my back without it.

I still have this weird feeling that if I move my neck the wrong way, it will snap or something will happen. Am I just being paranoid?

Recovery is going well. Today is kind of weird though. I feel some of the numbness on and off today in my arm and fingers. Is that common post op? I'm not doing any lifting or bending. My daily walk is getting to be easier now too. This morning I walked a mile without feeling winded.

Oh and boredom has set in. LOL. I love word search puzzles.
  • I have a chair that fits my neck perfectly in somewhat of a reclined position, so I often slept in that chair with an ottoman in front for leg support. but I'll be honest, I don't sleep well even now. I also have a recliner that I sleep in sometimes. When I would try sleeping in my bed, I would lie in somewhat of a side position, using a very soft feather pillow to bunch up to give support where needed.

It takes a bit to get used to it, but before you know it you will get permission to throw it away.

Your neck won't snap--especially if you keep your collar on like you are told to. You'll have a wide array of symptoms, which can change minute by minute. If there is something that worries you, call your doctor's nurse and she'll tell you if it is normal or not.

Oh, to beat the boredom, log in to chat. The gang in chat always leaves me laughing, and we are all there to support one another. If no one is there right away, hang around and someone will join you soon.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I just read where you get to take your collar off for sleeping. So you won't have to get used to it! Yay!
  • I as well have the collar but the miami J version. I think they named it miami cause of the heat that it generates. Anyway my instructions are 24-7 and i have replaceable pads to change out for showering. Doctors prescribe the collars depending on what and why they did the surgery. If they find instability they will want the collar for longer periods. I'm hoping next week to be released from the collar and it become a distance memory as it has been a long 6 weeks. How long till you return to the surgeon for your first set of films they may release you from it at that time.
  • itzmejudyiitzmejudy Posts: 7
    edited 07/27/2014 - 5:51 AM
    just had surgery Wednesday. The collar rubs my chest in the center so I put a little gauze padding there, but what I hate it not being able to wash my hair. I live alone and do not have help so I have just been using a wet wash cloth with shampoo the and then rinse the cloth several times and wipe hair to remove shampoo, then dry with towel. Having no help sucks, I called Dr. to request help a couple times a week, so maybe next week I will get help. I have a large bed wedge on couch I can lean against and sometimes just open front of collar for a break as long as I keep neck still and supported by bed wedge. I have not trouble sleeping. I sleep on my side as I always did and use pillows to keep neck with collar on straight. The constipation almost killed me.. I had nothing to take for it and know one to go get me anything. I thought I was going to have to go to hosp. but neighbor brought me stool softener and finally 7 hrs later it worked but my butt is sore LOL and it clogged the toilet what a hassle.. I just thought you would like to know.. LOL make sure you have stuff to help with it. Any way that's all the news. Not needing any pain meds.. doin well.
  • I had 3 level c4-7 in January and had to wear mine except for showering for the first 6 weeks then I was allowed to take it off to drive to work but had to put it on before getting out of the car. That lasted another 6 weeks. For 3 months I slept in a recliner and there are nights now where I get out of bed and get in the recliner as it's more comfortable as in bed I am a side sleeper.
    I am fully fuzed at c5/c6 and c6/c7 but c4/c5 is just beginning to show signs of fuzing.
    itzmejudy - for your hair you can get the dry shampoo, its an aerosol that you spray on, definately made for women as it has a flowery scent.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched