Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi newbie had spinal fusion week ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi there im new here i had a spinal fusion and laminectomy last week feel i have been told nothing from the staff at hospital thank u

• Jinty,
    What kind of info are you looking for? Feel free to PM me if you like.
  • Hi Jinty,

There are lots of people here who have had fusion surgeries so any specific questions you have please ask away.

So, you're only 1 week out, how are you feeling at the moment? Pretty sore still I guess? Good luck with the recovery and keep us up to date with how you're doing! Hugs, Spicey
  • Hi Jinty72,

Fusion is a major surgery, scary by itself, but without much info it is even worse. When you say you did not get any info at the hospital, do you mean you did not get details of your surgery or any instructions how to live your life as a new fusion patient?

Did they tell you that to get in/out of bed you have to use the "log roll'?
    What medications to take and what not to take?
    That you should avoid bending, lifting, and twisting (BLT)?
    That you should try to get out of bed every day, as much as you pain allows and go for short walks?
    That you need to rest, and eat a diet rich in fresh fruits, vegetables and protein?

I sure hope they gave you these instructions. It it is something else you want/need to know, let us know, we are here to help.

Take care! Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Kin ;) ;) :)
  • Feel free to ask us anything you would like to know everyone here is very helpful..............hello and welcome

• I feel your frustration!

I wasn't told a single thing on that list Kin! (acdf c4-c5 with instrumentation, 15 days post-op now). They just sent me on my way and didn't even tell me I had a lifting restriction.

I got in a car accident and was on lots of morphine when they told me they had to do the surgery. I couldn't focus very well and couldn't think of things to ask them. Hubby and friend were there to hear everything they told me and help. They put me in traction for a day, did the surgery and came in the next morning and said I could leave. The ONLY thing they told me AT ALL -
    wear the collar 24/7, but I can take it off to shower.

Until my followup 10 days later I didn't even know I had an allograft. Or what the plates were made of.

The only reason I know any of the things on your list is because I read them on spine-health, and then made a point to ask the surgeon at my follow-up. He did not offer ANY information and just confirmed details I specifically asked about after reading them here.

I'm pretty angry actually. When I asked about signing a proxy in case something happens (i've never been under anesthesia or had major surgery before), the response I got was "oh you don;t need to worry about something like that"..what!? I made sure I signed something anyway saying who would be responsible for making decisions for me.

Seriously - did not even know I wasn't supposed to lift heavy things till you guys told me! Hubby and friend confirm they never told me any of this.

Sorry for the rant
    "Shera" (Kris)
  • was told the log roll but wasnt told the rest dont go to see surgeon till the 21st aug how do i know if my stiches are dissolved as i havent a clue i was still in the ward and they had someone in my bed i feel as though i have been thrown out there was a lady in bed opposite and she had her elbow operated on she got more care than i did which angered me a little i cant take morphine as i had a reaction to it so all i have is tramadol and cocodamol which dont even touch the pain for a second xx