Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kfarm87kkfarm87 Posts: 3
edited 10/17/2015 - 9:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all! My name is Kelsey and I'm a 28 year old stay at home mom/wife. My babies are 3 and 11 months:)

My back pain began after my pregnancy with my 3 yr old and it started as an inability to lay flat on my back on any "hard" surface, ex floor or doctors table. I would feel what I can only describe as a "catch" and it was excruciating to get back into an upright position until the "catch" would finally "pop" back out. It literally felt like a bone popping. So as a new mom I mainly focused on my baby and ignored it and just avoided hurting it..
After 2 years I became pregnant with my second child and mid way through I began having severe pain in my SI joint and was sent to physical therapy. I was told at PT there was no chance I would improve while pregnant so I stopped going but continued exercises at home to try and prevent any worsening. I got through the end of the pregnancy and afterwards the SI joint pain seemed to improve to mild but lower back pain has been moderate ever since.

Fast forward to now and my pain is worse than ever. One week ago today I woke up in much worse pain than usual, a limp when walking due to nerve pain traveling down my buttock and thigh and what felt like a stabbing pain to the right side of tail bone. It persisted for 3 days and on the 3rd day I fell and knew I needed to be seen. I went to a local back pain/walk in clinic I had seen advertised because they were able to see me that day, I was evaluated in the walk in clinic portion and X-rays were taken then the chiropractor adjusted me, the absolute most painful experience I've had in quite some time, I left with a prescription for 5mg Norco and 500mg Robaxin. I did feel some relief the next day and was hopeful the chiropractor could snap, crack, and pop my back in to feeling good.

I went back Weds for the results of my Xray and they had me watch an informative video about the spine and how it should be shaped and signs of degeneration etc then the Doctor came in an went over my scans. I was shocked to see that portions of my X-rays could've been swapped out for the "bad" example X-rays featured in the video. The Dr said that I had military neck, and my neck most certainly was covered the opposite direction of normal, curved isn't the word, it's completely straight. He assured me through chiropractic treatment it could be corrected.

Next was the X-ray from the front, showing my jaw down to my pelvic bones. Now when I was initially being X-rayed I remember seeing on the screen what looked to be someone with pretty bad scoliosis, never connected in my mind that that was not someone else but my self. So when this image popped up my jaw dropped. The doctor said it looked liked a little bit of scoliosis, it was not a little, from the images Ive researched its a curve of at least 40 degrees. He said perhaps I was in pain and leaning, I do not feel this was the case at all, I want proper diagnosis, I sat up straight with my back to the board just as instructed. He said he wasn't sure and would have to look into it further to see if it was indeed scoliosis. He went through and discussed a few individual vertebrae and discs and on a few stated, yes it did appear to be scoliosis but the chiropractic treatment should correct some of it and we will reevaluate after treatment. I then signed a contract for 3K worth of treatment with a 1 year payment plan.

I'm afraid I shouldn't have done that and maybe I need to be seen by a neurologist. I'm hopeful that while maybe I should get the opinion of a neurologist, the chiropractor is still a good pain management option. I'm just at a complete loss, after the last adjustment my hips are in so much pain, something I didn't have before the chiropractor. Also, for what it's worth my mother has scoliosis that was diagnosed in childhood. Terribly sorry for the novel, just shocked at 28 I'm in this much pain with no idea what to do. Also really scared about the curve in my spine, the X-ray was honestly shocking. I just want to be able to play with my babies while they are babies, it goes so fast! Thanks for any advice or tips in advance :)

To keep all responses together I have closed this thread and posted the link to the members other one..it is a forum violation to make duplicate posts

Liz, Spine-health Moderator