Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion C7 - L1 with spinal cord damage

After a year of symptoms like trouble walking, I was finally given an MRI which showed damage to my cervical spinal cord. My spinal cord was just hanging in my neck being bumped by my vertebrae. You could see white matter (the inner spinal chord) on the MRI. I could barely walk when I had surgery on Aug 3rd. After three months, I can walk again but my muscles feel tight all the time. I get fatigued after just walking. My toes feel like mush. My balance is bad. I used to be quite active playing tennis, hiking, biking and skiing. I wonder how much I will recover from this. I am going to PT twice a week. My surgeon is not very hopeful. Has anyone had similar experiences?

• My neck MRI showed the I had cervical discs herniated with the spinal cord hung up on a bone spur. Sounds very mild compared to what you saw. My head felt like it was going to fall off and the pain was excruciating. It took 2 surgeries before a fusion took. That was in 1994/6. I am still working on my balance. You are still "post-surgery." Give yourself a year of recovery and working on your walking, balance, and muscle tone. I found Isometric exercises really helped without adding pain. My surgeon told me to give it 2 years for the nerves to heal. What I had then is what would be permanent. He was wrong on the 2 years' limit, the nerves do seem to continue to improve longer than that. Give yourself some time to heal.
    Still Walking