Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle spasms

lorijo3llorijo3 Posts: 112
edited 10/17/2015 - 2:41 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I was 19 days post 3 level acdf yesterday. It was my best day so far! I had been in pain up until then with what I assume are the dreaded musclerosis spasms...mostly on my left side shoulder and arm. I was in no pain yesterday and was able to half my meds. It seemed that since surgery activity would set them off....doing a load of laundry or cooking or taking a car ride to get out for a bit. Yesterday I took it easy...took my daily walk with hubby and the dogs but relaxed the rest of the day. Then around 6 pm all heck broke loose and the spasms returned with a vengeance. I was in agony for most of the evening until I got into my recliner to sleep for the night. What triggers these darned muscle spasms? Should I continue to take my full dose of pain meds and relaxers even if I feel great? I start PT after my 30 day xray and check up. Will PT help these spasms? How long will this happen? I do not want to be on vacation a year from now and be suddenly incapacitated by extreme pain. (Note: I do not wear a cervical collar as my doctor does not believe in them. I have a soft collar for riding in a car only.)

• So my acdf procedure was on Oct 12. My doc, also said no collar, for same reasons as yours. Practically speaking however, I have noticed toward the end of the day, I spasm and stuggle not to use my soft collar for an hour or so. I avoid the pain meds, but do take a diazepam, put the collar on, place heating pad on back of recliner and within an hour and a half, I pull the collar off. I have also slept with the soft collar on for a couple hrs at night (maybe 1-2). I may also just be up too much during the day, I walk for 30-40 minutes at a pathetically slow pace, usually just after lunch. I will try today to cut the walk in half and do twice a day and rest in between with a nap, and see if makes the evening spasms less. Good luck.
  • I find that I hurt more when I am doing too much. My focus is to walk each morning for approximately 45 minutes and try to do something fun (meet friends for lunch) or run an errand during the day. By 3 o'clock I start getting tired and by 4 o'clock I take a one to two hour nap.

All of my meals have been made in advance, prior to the surgery. I have someone who comes in to clean.

I am now 6 weeks post-surgery.
    C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex