Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 micro discectomy post op nerve pain

Jenny0319JJenny0319 Posts: 2
edited 10/19/2015 - 12:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my surgery Oct 13. When I woke up I immediately felt no more sciatic pain. Aside from normal post op pain I was so relieved. Over the last couple days though, I am feeling some of the same sensations of the sciatic nerve pain in my hip/buttock area. It's not radiating down my leg but is in my hip. I am doing the small doses of walking by and only laying on my sides and back but it's not easing. After going through the pain that led to my surgery I'm just terrified it's only going to get worse. After a few days of relief it's making me super anxious to think it was short lived. I'm trying not to twist or bend and at only 4 days post op I can't imagine scar tissue is the cause yet. Anyone have this hip pain flare back up and have it go away on its own?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • leogingel5lleogingel5 Posts: 18
    edited 10/19/2015 - 8:29 PM

I had a micro at l5,s1 on May 5th this year...about 6 months post op. I am a younger male, crossfitter, surfer, kitesurfer, etc. and police officer. I am very active. I started to walk right away after surgery, about 1-2 days after, and made sure to keep everything align.

My foot and calf were week and I had numbness in my right foot and toes. The pain and numbness was there for a few weeks after surgery and to this day I have a little numbness. I am back crossfitting, lifting hard, and doing all my sports.

Overall, to answer your question, you will have pains, aches, pains, and feel like losing hope...your nerve is very inflamed, bothered, and will take weeks up to a month or so to calm down. Just relax, do as the doc says, dont bend of twist, run, and walk a LOT. Keep the back strong and have great posture.

The numbness may or may not go away. Mine is still here but has improved. Also, I could not lift up on my toes on my right foot, but all the sudden could about 2 months out. It is all coming back and just takes time. 1mm per day recovery for nerve...so do the math from your butt to the toes.

Good luck! I feel 90%, the 10% being some numbness and just aches here and there.

I had a few scares where i pushed it too much, but it was body telling me to slow down. All is well!

Youll be fine.
  • DCLife100DDCLife100 Posts: 17
    edited 10/20/2015 - 1:24 PM
    Nerves that are irritated can take a very long to heal. I have had bad nerve pain in leg and foot for a long time but my case proved to need a more invasive surgery than the first micro discetamy.. So take time to get better, REST and listen to the docs.
  • Yes. This is what happened to me I had surgery on Monday October 19th. I had immediate pain relief from my sciatic nerve pain, until Wednesday so two days of pain free and now cannot even move my right hip or leg to get comfortable. Yes I am very anxious that I have hurt myself already. Even though I have been very careful. I went back to the hospital where they gave me more pain medication because I was in such severe pain. My surgeon came in and told me this may last for a couple of weeks and I have to be patient. My problem is healing is hard when you're in this much pain and I have to have c5 and c4 fuse before the end of the year. I would really like to hear from this surgery quickly. It is good to see someone on here going through the same thing. Not that I wish your pain on anyone. I hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe that means I will feel better soon also. Keep in touch
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 731
    Dear Jenny...

I've had 2 back surgeries and in one case the nerve pain was immediately gone after surgery and never came back. In the second case the nerve pain was at least as bad AFTER the surgery as before and it took 4 months to go away!!! I was really frustrated and felt like my surgeon hadn't "done things right"... but he knew better... and told me to just be patient. In the end he was right but it was a horrible 4 months. Everyone is different and it's just a question of how long it will take for the inflammation in your nerves to calm down to the point where there is no longer any irritation to them. Hang-in there... you're doing the right things... you will get better.

Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• So I'm almost two weeks post op. I'm happy to report that every day is improving exponencially. I'm back at work and itching to get back to the gym and my exercise routines. I forgot to mention I have degenerative disk disease as well so I will always have to be cautious about my back but I'm very pleased with the results so far. I do have to remind myself to take it easy because after years of excruciating pain I am so ready to live again. I have hope again!!
  • Hi Jenny0319 - do you have any updates you can share?

I'm a 30 y/o male who had l5/s1 MicroD on 12/29. Just over a week into recovery and starting to feel some of the same pains that you described in the hip/butt. Hoping that it's the nerve healing or repositioning and not a reinjury. I also had what was called a bulge at l4/l5 but that wasn't included in the operation on ortho's recommendation. the l5/s1 was called a bulge on 2 mri's and the dr said it was a large herniation so I'm not sure if l4/l5 is the same and that's what's causing the pain.

Anything you can share with someone in the same boat would be greatly appreciated. Hope the recovery has gone well and you're back to your old self.
    L5/S1 MicroD 12/19/15
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History