Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post-op L5-S1 disectomy: Issues

FirstcomesloveFFirstcomeslove Posts: 3
edited 10/19/2015 - 3:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone. I'm an active 37 year old woman with a 10 year history of periodic lower back pain. Basically over the last 10 years I've hurt my back 4 times (just during daily activities) and needed ibuprofen and 1-2 weeks of physio and a week of bed rest to get "unstuck" and get back to normal. In between those episodes if I got a sore back - mainly from sitting too long anywhere) I would just get massages and take it easy.

7 weeks ago after a day of playing a lot with my toddler I got a sore back, went to bed early and woke up unable to bend or walk without a lot of lower back pain. I went to my Orthopedic immediately and started 10 days of PT and 1200mg Ibuprofen. I felt 90% better after that.

4 days after completing PT I was pushing a stroller up a small hill, I noticed I had a some pain in my lower back AND buttocks and couldn't sit comfortably afterwards. In the car driving home my left leg from the buttock to the back of my thigh had extreme electric like pain and also like someone has kicked me deep in the left buttock. From then on - sitting was near possible as it was too painful. Standing, walking and certain laying positions also very painful - almost constantly. The mornings were worst but pain in left buttock down the back of my thigh was excruciating. Worst of all - a large part of my left buttock was just numb. For the first time I had Sciatica.

Back to my Orthoped on a Wednesday who said this was a a worsening of my previous issue - noted the numbness, sciatic pain and a weakening of reflexes in my left foot and some loss of feeling on my outer left thigh and numbness of left buttock and ordered an MRI (Thursday)which showed a 8mm herniated disk at L5-S1. He ordered me straight to the Neurosurgeon who saw me a few days later and scheduled an operation for 3 weeks later. He warned that if I didn't I may develop CES or dropfoot. He warned against PT as it may make it worse. Through the 3 weeks of waiting I couldn't sit without pain, walking too long or too fast hurt, I spent a lot of time laying down or standing, managing pain with 1800mgs of Ibuprofen per day and doing stretches to alleviate sciatic pain. No driving which has seriously diminished my life.

L5-S1 microdisectomy performed on 13 Oct and on 14 Oct I went for my first postop walk and I am painfree from my sciatic pain!!!

However, my left entire buttock, whole genital area and anal area were very numb as soon as I woke post-op. I couldn't urinate until 24 hours after surgery and once I did I had to "push" like crazy and it kind of just falls out of me - I can't feel it. There's a huge loss of sensation and control when I urinate and I feel as though my bladder has not emptied. BUT, I am not incontinent and have no pain. I had a BM with the help of a laxative on 17 Oct (4 days post op) and could feel it coming but not come out. From 14-17 Oct I complained like crazy to everyone - but they said "these things take time" and "the most important thing is you don't have pain".

I was overcome with anger and fear on the 17th and demanded they take it seriously. They sent me for a CT and it came back ok. They tested my anal sphincter (digit insertion) and I was able to push. They tested my urine for UTI infection - all clear. I left the hospital and am now home as they said there's nothing they can do for me.

It's 18 Oct and the numbness has shrunk in area and is now concentrated in the saddle area of the left buttock (but not thigh and not right side) and the outer left genital area (but not right). Bladder retention has no improvement - I kinda feel I have to go, sit there and it comes or it doesn't, I push and maybe a trickle will come or maybe a gush. Still feels like I'm not emptying fully. I also can not control flatulence which is horrifying. No more BM so far.

They have said no to another MRI to rule out Cauda Equina as the CT is OK and I am not incontinent. My surgeon told me that all this will likely improve in 6-12 weeks after the nerves and muscle have had time to repair after surgery with the help of PT.

Please - anyone - ideas??experiences?? What shall I do?

I would like another MRI to check for Cauda Equina at least. I am hopeless, depressed and scared.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,883
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Anyone had anything similar? Did bladder/bowel issues improve? What can I do? Scared and lost. Seeing surgeon tomorrow to take out stitches. He says "things will get back to normal, it takes time". He also said that this can't be anything directly to his surgery as he was not near those nerves.

TMI but I can do kegels, squeeze my buttocks, push in the rectum area, but have urinary retention (hard to get going) and no sensation or control of it coming out. BM with laxative post op, could feel it coming but not it coming out.
  • I would tell them that I have bladder incontinence to ensure that they sent me for an MRI
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement