Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Fusion, post 4 weeks bad nerve pain

DCLife100DDCLife100 Posts: 17
edited 10/19/2015 - 3:16 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, SO 35 years old, Had a microdisctemy in November 2014. All was well until a injury months later. For the past 10 months i suffered from horrible nerve pain on the outer side of my left foot, entire left side of left foot. It is always inflamed, swollen, or sharp pains. I have pain on the left side of my left foot everyday all day and night. Also get burning nerve pain in calf off and on. Has anyone ever had various pains on the left side of their left foot? Its suppose to be the main area of the S1 nerve in your foot but my surgeons and docs have never heard of it. I am 4 weeks post L5/S1 fusion and it is no better, almost worse at this point. Anyone know anyone with this pain before? Ever go away?

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 724
    I had L5-S1 fusion surgery in January of this year and it took 4 months post op for the nerve pain to go away. Pain was as bad or worse than pre-op just like you. My doctor said that it sometimes takes that long for the nerve swelling to go down to a level that the nerve irritation/pain stops. All of my pain was in my right side along with numbness across the bottom of my right foot. Now at 9 months the numbness in my right foot is still there 24/7 and the doctor said it may or may not ever go away depending on how/if the nerve damage heals.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015