Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Fast Did You Fuse?

??

I had a one level ACDF (C6/C7) in May (using cadaver bone) and I'm just curious about others. I've had two x'rays which show I have not fused and my next x'ray is in January 2016. I know it can take up to a year...

ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
advertisement

Comments

• Nick.nyNNick.ny New York,NYPosts: 121
    edited 10/19/2015 - 1:22 PM
    Hi Denise,
    It can take up to 18 months to fully fuse in some cases. Others anywhere between 8-12 months.
    I had ACDF C- 4/5/6/7,four years ago and still not fully fused even though the MRI report says most part fused my surgeon order a CTscan and look at the films by himself. He told me I'm not 100% fused but he doesn't care as long there's spinal and hardware alignment,and the screws hold strong it can stay like that indefinitely. Yours in 4 1/2, 5 months still kind early don't stress your self if there's no problems other than that.
    2011 ACDF C 4/5/6/7.
    2011 repaired sternum with fixation plate and 9 screws.
    4/2011,3/2012,11/2012 and 6/2013  Rotator cuff surgeries.  
    1/6/2016 revision ACDF C4/5/6/7, plus fusing the level above that C 3-4.
    Pending L5-S1.
  • I had ACDF at C4/5 on 4/28/15 and at my last check up 3 weeks ago, I was told I am 60% fused. So I was about 5 months post op at that check up.

I see you chopped your hair off too. I did too after surgery. It was too painful to do anything with the long hair. It looks great on you.
  • I had xrays at 5 weeks and my NS seemed surprised I already started to fuse.

Denise, have you been walking a lot? Apparently that helps a lot. And do you eat much protein?
    C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex
  • i'm 1 year and 1 month out from T4-T8 fusion and still not fully fused :-(
    September 2014 : T6 burst fracture, multilevel fusion from T4-T8
  • yes! I did cut if off :) Although it backfired on me because shorter hair is harder to maintain in terms of styling. Long hair was easy to bun it or braid it and call it a day.

Shelly, I do lots of cardio. And I am on a low carb, moderate fat diet which means tons of protein although I just stared this in September. Good to know though, thank you.

I just don't think I'll be content until I fuse. IDK why, though. I'm starting to experience tingling in my arm and hand which is making me extremely nervous. As far as pain and mobility that's been awesome from early on but as of this week these new (OLD) symptoms are rearing their ugly head and I have no idea why it's happening :(
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Denise, I found that as I started feeling better and increasing my activity and exercise, some of my old pains and symptoms started coming back. I was told by my NS that nerves have memory, and when we irritate them by doing too much, or whatever the case may be, the pain and old symptoms come right back.
    It's almost as if they're beneath the surface just waiting to return. It's a good reminder to ease off activity and remeber that there is still a lot of healing going on. Especially if you're not showing any signs of fusion yet.
  • Makes complete sense! Especially since my Neurosurgeon called me yesterday and said the very same thing! :) He called me in a steroid dose pack and basically told me to chill the hell out LOL. Planks and carrying the baby was the only "new" thing I've physically introduced into my life and I've stopped both. This was definitely my fair warning to take it easy. He also mentioned that I am "almost fused" so that made me feel a ton better. I've only taken two doses of the roids and the tingling has stopped. I'm so relieved! Thank you Adella for getting back to me.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Planks and any exercise that puts strain on the neck can flare up the symptoms. Be careful as you've probably had one of the easiest and most successful recoveries from all of us.
advertisement