Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint and Hip/Groin/Hamstring Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Brand new poster here. Reader's Digest version.

Going on for a year. Healthy 40 yr old Male comes back from a run and starts feeling a dull throbbing pain in the right groin and the top of the hamstring/bottom of the butt.

Massage therapy, two rounds of Physical therapy treating the hamstring.

Primary can't see the problem, an Ortho late last year diagnoses SI joint dysfunction, start new round of therapy and get the joint popped in and out, now we have lower back stiffness on top of the hip/groin.

This week an MRI of lumbar and pelvis and a full series of pelvic xrays, Primary and a new Ortho, and the radiology report all come back negative...nothing looks wrong. Ortho ran reflex tests and "doesn't think" its neurological, just muscular.

I have not been training at all (why my weight, heart rate, BP are all up) so I don't think I'm reinjuring anything.

Hooked up with more stretching and a portable electrical stimulator for the muscles.

OK more of a "New Yorker" article than readers digest, what do you all think?

• After 5 years of surgery and treatment to no avail, cortisone shots have just proved positive on my SI joint, it looks fine on the MRI.....so don't be fooled by that. I get burning/dull ache/throbbing in the butt, back of legs etc...If you have normal spine and pelvic MRI, then SI joint sounds a good candidate......also check out the piriformis muscles another quite common cause. Prolotherapy, RF Denervation or cortisone shots could be a way to go for SI Joint syndrome, I am just waiting for RF after my Cortisone shots proved positive.
    I find that if it's a muscular pain then NSAID's help, if it's Neuro they have no effect at all.

Hope that helps

• and pubis symphysis and labral tear. AND OSTEISTIS. sp ?

I'm going through this now and it's a nightmare. Have had the debilitating groin pain for year and a half now.

Injections into SI JOINT helped a LOT for 5 weeks, then back, did nothing for Groin pain. Had Injections into groin-pelvic-pubis symphysis last week and feel worse than before, however I know it takes TIME to settle down.

These are some things you might look into with groin pain...what a miserable thing. It can really debilitate you and there's no fast fix for any of it.

Buttock - hip - groin -leg pain back !
  • I have many of the same symptoms, but my groin pain isn't as intense. I have had low back pain and SI joint issues for over 20 years; one bone scan shows inflammation, the next shows nothing. One x-ray of my SI joints shows an irregularity, the next one says everything is "normal"; my understanding is that it is hard to diagnose a lot of issues surrounding the SI joint. A year and a half ago, a massage therapist was treating my hamstring pain, and it exacerbated it to the point where I ended up having physio treatment to try and settle it. It still flares up constantly, and I believe that is part of the arthritis I was just diagnosed with; spondyloarthritis. My SI joint pain has been unbearable. I, like Rob, have had rhizotomies, prolotherapy, physiotherapy, cortisone injections...you name it. Some have given me relief, some have made things a lot worse, but the rhizotomies were a good option for me.

I just started a new prescription NSAID, Fluriprofen, and it has made a HUGE improvement in my pain levels in the 10 or so days that I've been on it. The fact that my pain was much improved with Vioxx, which was taken off the market years ago, gave my rheumatologist a clue as to what may be happening with my body.

I would document every little thing you can think of when it comes to your symptoms, what treatments helped or hindered, which meds improve the pain, etc., and see if you can get a second opinion from a neurosurgeon first, then possibly a rheumatologist. It's worth a try to get some answers....I know the frustration of not having a diagnosis so you can start proper treatment.

• You could have hamstring tendinitis or you could have piriformis syndrome too. I have DDD and arthritis in my lower back and T spine issues. (herniations) and after I injured my left knee, I had TERRIBLE pain in my hamstrings. Turns out most of the pain I had wasn't all related to my back issues. I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last month. PT has helped immensely with the pain (I have said it a million times but I have a FANTASTIC PT. I won't go to anyone else and I don't care how far away he is..I will go out of my way to see this guy.) and so has the Flexeril and Vicodin!
  • :) first let me say hi and welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i guess i must be a little dense or it is late ( 1 here) but i don't really understand what you are saying. so i will just say hello and wish you good luck! see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the input folks.

I'm just starting out on 800mg IBU 3x a day for 30 days and hooking up to e-stim 3x (which never seems to work out with the schedule).

Just got back from a tent-camping trip which included 1,000 miles behind the wheel. Not helping the cause at all!

• Hello ! This has been such a help- I have exactly the same pains as you have and for 10 or so yrs. I have a cortisone shot schedule for next week and am looking forward to it.
    Can you update me (us) on how its gone for you after the IB
    (which I can't do b/c of sensitive stomach)
    Here's something I did find that REALLY helped-
    Active Release Technique-a form of PT. chiropractic and Pressure point that moves the muscles and readjusts the issues- on any injury etc.. I had amazing results in a few sessions but b/c of financial issues have had to stop (am working on that). Thanks!
  • mchadmmchad Posts: 1
    edited 04/04/2014 - 7:04 PM
    I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted about two years with 2 leads in my spine and 2 in my SI joints. It has helped with reducing some of the chronic pain but not to the extent I have been able to get off of narcotic pain medications. I am now having issues with my hip joints and looking at hip replacement surgery on both sides. My pain managment doctor is suggesting I have a pain pump surgically implanted in my abdomen. Had anybody had the pain pump implanted and if so how is it working?
  • You might have gotten more responses in you had posted this question in our pain management forum under the treatment tab.........that forum deals with pain management therapies, including the pump...
    We do have a few members who have had the pump inserted and most of them have done very well. It has a catheter that is threaded to the thecal sac, and inserted and delivers the medication at a greatly reduced amount directly into the spinal fluid, and seems to offer better overall pain control , at substantially reduced dosages and avoids the issues that most of us have with the use of oral pain medications.