Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think I got duped by a liar

GingersnapsGGingersnaps Posts: 2
edited 10/19/2015 - 8:21 PM in Lower Back Pain
So I let someone move in who claims to have lower back problems. She was trying for dissability but got dropped. Anyway I have back pain and have never has the extreme responses she seems to have and the only difference between what wrong with her and me is she has a bulged disk but the doctor feels her pain is nerve pain and weak muscles.
I have a pinched nerve and weak muscles from dealing with it for over 10 years before I started seeing a pain doc. I find the more I move the better I feel within reason. Lying or sitting or standing in the same spot for a long time hurts. Mornings are the worst for me, I have to use a heating pad before I get up and it takes about an hour for the pain to good down enough it isn't the main thought on my mind. I avoid narodics like the plague and only take neuroinhibiters and otc meds.
So the thing is she weighs about 300lbs and stays in bed almost all the time. I've told her if her doc knew he'd rip her a new one. She says it hurts too bad and ONLY laying down helps. When she does get up she makes a point to double over like she's in labor. Physical therapy made her cry so bad on the second visit he said don't come back I can't help you. She can walk just fine without a limp unless she's making a big fuss about not being able to do anything. On the day I helped her move she was doubled over crying in pain the whole time like even packing a box was too hard. When she saw the doc absolutely every place he touched she winced in pain and acted like she might fall. All this and she can completely rearrange a room full of heavy furniture. I never would have dared to do that alone.
I will not allow her to be on narcotics in my house [bc] Please do not use abbreviated text talk I have kids and she also drives my car. She's always screaming she don't like them but she was on them for 2 years before moving in and keeps trying to get them claiming nothing else works.
So I'd like to know from people who actually experience back pain what do you think the chances are she exaggerates her pain?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • 2dgs4cmpany22dgs4cmpany Posts: 200
    edited 10/20/2015 - 1:54 AM
    I do not believe in judging a book by its cover or a life I haven't lived. So I'm trying not to do that with you. In my most kindest advice, since you asked: your room mate is not you. You simply cannot measure your life or pain against anyone else's. It sounds like you handle pain differently than she does...and that is not at all surprising. We are human and not Barbie dolls. None of us is a duplicate of another. You are beautiful and unique, as is she. Please consider changing your attitude if you intend to continue living with this person. If that isn't possible, please separate. Your post really broke my heart, for her because of your judgement. And my heart breaks for you because of you closed mind-ness.

Wishing you the peace of mind to worry about yourself and hold only you to your standards. I think you must be a kind person too...none of us are all wrong or all perfect. I read you shared your car use. That is incredibly thoughtful, truly. I'm thinking you would do well to start with focusing on the kind you that opened your home and car. From there remember to not measure your pain or life against anyone's, because no one is awesome as you and you are no more awesome than anyone else.

I think it is great you feel better when moving. I too had that ability in my thirties. Now in my forties, I'm a heat pad girl and having to be in bed and on pain medication more than I like, my operation is Friday (.finally)!! I would hate for anyone to judge me in my current non working state. It's not a complete snapshot of the whole me.

I normally would not respond to such an angry post to be honest. And I will not be writing more, as I have surgery coming and am crazy busy preparing. Just know there is only so much life we get. Why waste a second worrying about others. Enjoy yours! Wishing you joy and happiness.
  • I am only asking for experiences of other people who have had pain due to bulged disk and pinched nerve since I have no clue if a bulged disk can cause a person to be nearly crippled one minute but able to do anything the next. My mother in law has several bulged disks and is unable to walk long distances but I've never seen her double over in pain out of the blue.it just seems so convenient that it's any time I ask for a little help with something like cooking. I have never doubted she is in pain but I just get the feeling she exaggerates for attention. The doctors can't even explain why she is in as much pain as she appears to be. I guess I'm feeling taken advantage of since she makes almost no effort to help with anything. She lies to me all the time about stuff then I end up having to bail her out of the lies. This person is my sister who I had not seen in a few years and I'm just so shocked that it's already reached a point where I don't trust her. I want to help her get on her feet but I'm just so frustrated.

Either way I am glad I found this forum and plan on looking through previous posts. I have bad days where I just don't want to get up or I overdo myself and hurt more than normal for a couple days and think I may find some helpful ideas to help deal with it.