Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posted on a few people's posts and hoping someone cane help. I am 4 weeks post an L5/S1 fusion. It has been about 9 months or so since i started having the following pain: the left side of my left foot always feels either inflamed, swollen, burning or cutting pain. Surgeon says the S1 nerve runs along the outside of both feet so likely the nerve pain coming out the end of the nerve but he has never heard of this before. Surgeon is extremely well rated in the Chicagoland area and has completed thousands of fusions. Basically it feels like I am walking on a long rod on the entire left side of my left foot. The pain goes from a hard feeling to sensitive pain, to burning or occasionally a cutting pain. Im struggling to maintain hope that it will go away some day. Makes it difficult to walk or sit at times cuz every day it seems to either start off at 10 pain or sometimes 1, but is always gets more painful throughout every day like a roller coaster. HAS Anyone ever heard of this type of pain on the outside of left foot?

• Not to that extreme, but I do have nerve issues with my right foot (alternates between numbness, a deep ache & throb). Four weeks isn't along time in nerve land so try & be patient. I'm 14months post fusion & the pain in my foot is less than what it was but has remained steady for the last 6months. My surgeon says it may or may not go away.

You're not alone, I hope it begins to heal as your body does.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have heard too that after a year whatever you experience may be permanent, but I hope not for everyone. I hope you experience more and more relief! Thanks again.