Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Discectomy?

I have been dealing with low back and leg pain for several months and the severe leg pain started in early Sep. I saw a spinal surgeon yesterday and he recommends a left L5/S1 discectomy. I have tried just about everything else. I got one epidural injection a couple of weeks ago which frankly did little to nothing. I have a second scheduled on Friday. I am nervous that the procedure won't work or will make me worse. Any thoughts?
Carrie A Noworolnik

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    ESI (Epidural Spinal Injections) when administered correct should never create additional pain.
    It is true that not everyone does receive pain relief from these injections. Its hard to predict when you are going to get good results.

Read more about ESI Epidural Steroid Injections
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Learn from my experience. I had a herniated disc a year ago. After 2 weeks off of work i felt back to normal. Went back to work over did it and the herniated disc got so bad i could not walk. Severe nerve pain down the entire left leg. I had a micro discectamy that worked great because instantly no more pain upon waking up. Life was great until months later i herniated the same disc, what was left of it, at work and have been in severe up and down nerve pain 24 hours a day since. Had a fusion 4 weeks ago and still a lot of nerve pain up and down every day. If you have exhausted all options then go ahead with whatever you feel is necessary. I wish i never had to have any surgery because like many people i have met, sometimes once you start down the surgery path it leads to a domino affect of more and more surgeries. I am not trying to be negative, I am just saying before any surgery I would make sure you have exhausted every other option. I did physical therapy, swimming, expensive core training classes, expensive massages, expensive acupuncture, numerous epidermal shots, BUT all no relief from horrible nerve pain. If you have no other option like me than you have to decide what is best for a better future. Good luck with everything.
  • Michelle99MMichelle99 Posts: 57
    edited 10/20/2015 - 6:48 PM
    Have to agree with DClife100. I had a severe herniation at L5/S1 in July last year. I tried an epidural injection which did nothing to help. Unfortunately by December my herniation got worse and I had no option but to have a micro D. All was good after the surgery but after 5 weeks I herniated again and had another micro D and laminectomy in May. Since then I've been left with severe nerve pain which is apparently due to my sciatic nerve being strangulated by scar tissue.

You have to do what is best for you and take advice. Whatever happens make sure you follow all the medical advice if you have a micro D. definitely no BLT your really have to follow the rules to the letter. I'm looking at a possible fusion now, which I don't want because of the domino effect spoken about by DClife100. Was you fusion for nerve pain Dclife100? If so, I think I will avoid that procedure at all costs.