Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Diabetics and pain control

TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I have a very close friend who deals with chronic pain issues similar to mine. She has has diabetes since she was a teenager, and the meds she can take are extremely limited. When things are really bad, she'll take a couple of Tylenol, and if they're EXTREMELY bad, she takes a couple of Ibuprofen, but can only take a few doses before it affects her kidneys. The ibuprofen is what really helps her with her pain.

I'm sure many of you have Diabetes on top of your other health issues; can you tell me what kind of meds you've been able to take that have helped you? She has a connective tissue disorder of some sort (probably an arthritis), and has extreme neck and shoulder pain. I want to see what I can find out for her, as she's had a very rough month or so....I hate watching her suffer like she does, and she won't ask for help.

Thanks in advance.

• TracyLynne,

I am sorry to hear that your friend has to go through this pain without proper "pain treatment" due to kidney problems.I am a type 2 diabetic(13yrs +) and would recommend her diabetes care provider who's familiar consult with her.I hope she gets relief soon.

I am sorry for such an open ended answer, but with her kidneys impaired most medications are going to pass/filter there and dosage considerations are on most med labels to be adjusted by doctors to see what she can process properly.Just want her to be safe and not get advice that may hurt in the long term.

For me I can still take tops 2000 mg tylenol(via my 10/325 Norcos) w/o much issue while Nsaids hurt my stomach way too bad.Steroids are also a no-no again a bad reaction prevents them from being useful.

****This just my opinion and has no basis in real medical knowledge mind you, just a cautious person***
  • It's just a thought, but would a topical type med be an answer for her. The flector patch is an NSAID but since it doesn't go throught your system like an oral med it may not cause her as many problems. I also have been given an ointment (made by a compunded pharmacy of different meds) that I apply to the area of pain so it doesn't pass through the digestive system (mine is shot from oral NSAIDS). She should check with her Dr. to see if these could be an option for her. Dava Anne
  • I appreciate your comments. She is so stubborn when it comes to meds, and I don't blame her at all, but I've seen her suffer SO badly.

Frustrated - she had to go the steroid route a couple of years ago, and it really messed her up, so you're right in that it's not an option. I just like to be able to try and offer her some suggestions to bring up to her doctor, as she hides so much of her pain.

Dava Anne - I'll ask her about the NSAID patch; I've never heard of it in Canada, but it may just be something I've missed along the way with treatments.

Thanks again for the responses.