Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op L5/S1 recovery

I had a micro discectomy 2 days ago. The MRI showed a small herniation but I knew something was wrong because on of a burning sensation in my back which 3 weeks later turned into pain in my legs. Right leg to the knee and left leg to the knee and below the knee was tingling. I was still able to work and even went on a very painful 20 mile bike ride. The day before surgery I gardened and got everything ready because I knew I was not able to do it after the surgery. My doctor studied my MRI and was giving me more time to think about it because my herniation was not that big and knowing that I was still doing active things made him think twice about doing the surgery. I wanted him to go ahead because I knew something was wrong.

Once her opened up the space he found a large herniation. My left side was much worse but he was able to get material out of the right side as well. 4 months prior I had ACDF in my neck and the same thing happened (MRI did not show the severity of the injury). My questions are.
He said that if I did not have the micro discectomy at this time - the entire disc would have blown in 2 months. It was a good thing I decided to do this.
1. Is this typical for MRI's to miss the severity of the herniation.
2. Do I have a very high pain tolerance?
3. What would be my symptoms if the disc would have ruptured completely?
4. Is it typical for the sciatica to come and go in the first few days of healing? I'm wondering if there is swelling in the area and may still be compressing part of the nerve.

The numbness has improved greatly and my hips feel much better...the tightness in my hamstrings is also improved but it's somewhat a little sore...I'm guessing this is normal for the first few days but wanted to know other people's experience. Thanks

• Hi Barbara! If you look/post under the L4/5/S1 experiences topic in the "recovering from surgery" section, you will find a number of active members who might have some answers to your questions. :)
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015