Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pharmacy let me down

SoarntornSSoarntorn Posts: 1
edited 10/21/2015 - 8:59 PM in Pain Medications
I have been taking Opana 40 and have gotten down to Oxydodone 10mg from 20mg. I just got a new scrip with both of them in it, along with gabapentin, as this was the next step in getting off the opiates soon. I have been on some forms of opiates for nearly 3 years now, from Vicodin , norco, Oxydodone 20mg to OxyContin, butrans, and now the Opana 40 and oxy-co 10mg. Had a minor disc cleaning and bone spur surgery 2 years ago and now things seem to be getting better and am really trying hard to get off these wonderful yet troublesome drugs. Wonderful for pain and a smile yet troublesome to get off and not rely on them to feel "normal".

My issue now is the pharmacy didn't have any of the Opana 40 and it took them 5 days for them to come in. They did fill the OxyCodone and I had overuse those to compensate. I am allowed 5 of the 10mg tabs and I used 10 of them. I tried to get in touch with PM dr to see if he could help me get some of them back and obviously I can't talk to him but his staff just say I need to hang in there and take less until my next scheduled visit. That doesn't work with me, as I agreed with my dr on a plan and that plan got derailed by the pharmacy, so I did what I could to stay comfy for 5 days and I get nothing from his staff and they try to work me in for an earlier appt but only during my work hours. Should I be adamant about getting my oxycodone replaced? And getting an earlier appt. I hate this position because I don't want to come off as a medicated lunatic who flips out over medication, specifically an opiate. My only thing is is I'm really trying to get off the meds in the safe and correct way and now this happens and throws everything off and they just say "take less" because they can't just replace them that easy. Which makes me just give up and I will just be miserable for the last few days till my appt. I can't type anymore. Thanks for listening

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Opana has been becoming more and more difficult to get, especially the non-ER version.
    Once you knew that you were not going to get your Opana and had to rely on the Oxycodone, you needed to make more phone calls to your doctor. Without being rude, there would be a simple statement I would let the doctor's staff be aware of.

Because, the pharmacy is out of Opana, I need to take additional Oxycodone. This is the way I can currently manage my pain. I just want the doctor to be aware of this. If you have other suggestions, please let me know

Now, that doesnt mean when its time for a refill, that the doctors will accept your rationale. Narcotics has become a very difficult subject over the years. Any 'off the prescribed' dosage may be grounds for dismissal or rejection.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's getting harder and harder to get pain meds. If they do t want to give them to you, they say they're out. I've been dealing with these issues for some time. I've been on pain meds for approximately two years. I've had 3 cervical fusions and a total knee replacement. The pharmacy started questioning my prescriptions and they called my doctor and demanded my chart. They (pharmacist) told me I shouldn't be having any more pain, so they aren't filling anymore opioids under my name. So I asked my Dr to wean me off, and mo that my dose is very low, I'm not functioning due to thoracic back pain. I went for an MRI last week and it showed herniated discs from T1 to T12, my entire thoracic spine is bad. I don't know what to do, because the pharmacys will not allow me to take anymore pain meds, what are my alternatives? I'm 47 years old, and I'm going to lose my job if I can't do it!!!
  • I had a hard time filling this months Oxycotin called several Pharmacy's mine had met their quota for the month and I even have a commitment from them to fill each month.
    Several here have said they experienced the "we are out", "we cannot tell you over the phone", " we don't carry those" on and on.
    I take 30mg 3 a day and the pharmacist that got me was the one that said "we are out of 30 but you can cut the 60's in half". I was stunned
    and told him " are you serious that is not only against the law but would be very harmful". He then said in a irritated voice " well then I cannot
    be of any help" and hung up.
    I can't imagine if he had got someone who maybe doesn't understand the seriousness of doing that he could cause some harm.
    Anyway I ended up calling 15 stores this time and for me every month is a battle finding "Endocet".
    It never ends.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I would take that Pharmacist to task. There are VERY SERIOUS and POTENTIAL FATAL problems if you cut OXYCONTIN in half.

I HAVE TO STRESS NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER even try to cut an extended medication in half.

I would call the DEA on that pharmacist. What they are suggesting could be fatal. THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER.

If you would not want to make that call, please let me know what pharmacy and pharmacist told you that, we will follow up

Sheri, I know you understand the danger involved in regards to what your pharmacist told you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The only problem that I am having is they are not stocking. My pharmacist places order on Monday, if script gets in on time would be available on Tuesday. I went from Opsna ER 20 to 40mg dropped off on a Tuesday and was ready on Friday. What I think my pharmacy does is stock the normal dose. He told me next time ai have a change to give him a heads up but I am wondering if insurance has something to do with this. After my deductible I'm at 100 percent the cost for 30 day supply of ER and IR is over 2,400,.
    Why some of us having problems and some not. I have been going to same pharmacy for 19 years and mine knows me.
  • Is there such a thing? Oh boy that would be awful. I know my PM told me if he gives me something different, his office is located in a hospital he will tell me to fill it before I leave. They must stick much more.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Your experience is ....just unbelievable!

In this day and age of everyone being so cautious, wow!
    And when we count on them also for double checking to be sure no interactions with overall meds, ...our pain meds and meds given by other doctors for other reasons.

It seems so basic ...meds 101...do not cut,......and he was irritable with you! Yikes!

I too am glad you were on top of it and knew that was bad advice.....but how many would have accepted that?

And if person took med cut in half and needed medical care for the consequences, how many medical personal are going to believe explanation of pharmacist instruction?
    But then label needs to match doctor's order of how to take and how often! So label on med may read cut in half?
    It's so wrong on so many levels!

What it could do to that person's well being with harmful, harmful side effects.
    So glad you're safe!

I totally agree with Ron, that this should be reported! Not only for your sake, but for others, also!
    His advice with his lack of knowledge, it's like he waving a gun!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
    edited 11/08/2015 - 5:36 AM
    Ron you are so right about it and I have sent the DEA a what they have "Tip" with problem and my e-mail address. I have yet to hear from them but will give it a few days. I added details and feel zero guilt about it, my only concern is worrying about others he deals with. I did call the manager and left a message to call me it was urgent. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow I am going down there which I never leave the house but for apt.s but this is important to me. I left that pharmacy due to their attitude and the wait time so now just one big sigh so glad I did. Is there anything else I should do Ron I will pursue it and appreciate your support and outrage which I knew you would feel. I think in the end the manager may use his language as a reason for not understanding what I said but that will be a lie I made myself clear and he knew he had been caught in the wrong.
    Savage you are right it was beyond belief and I was shocked. To me there is no excuse what so ever and what you said about others not realizing is the truth we trust them right? My husband is one of those who never checks anything he trusts everyone and told me drop it, he was just busy. I was mad and told him "you don't get it" but dropped the subject it is just how he is never questions anything just pops the pill.
    No the label would never say cut in half that I know of with the coating, you would get the whole dose at once right and it is a slow release drug. Maybe I misunderstood you but like Ron said it is a never as far as I know and my GP didn't put that on my prescription.
    We do have to be careful in fact I am over board maybe I always check my pills with the pill identifier even now with my memory issues I still check.
    Gosh between trying to find them and all the other crap it is a nightmare dealing with meds.
    Hope your day is being kind to you all.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...energy you're expending, and it's too bad since you are the one suffering, but I think your decisions were wise.

Re med label on bottle, I was wondering, what would pharmacist do? How would he write up for patient's instructions?
    I was not clear, I'm sure :) Oh, no......I do know that doctor would not and did not write his script to read to cut such a med in half.

I was wondering......
    If pharmacist gave you the dose that he wanted you to cut in half, would he have typed up the label to reflect that?
    Example, take half tab?
    (Changing the doctor's order, I think, in addition to handing med out with serious consequences if med taken after cut)

Or he could leave it as Doctor instructed, take one twice a day...for example.
    That would mean double dose of original Doctor order. (So wrong and label would not match doctor's script)

Or leave as above with giving you the verbal instructions only?(cover up like, to me, and still not matching doctor's script)

How could he ever think he'd get around that?

If there were to be any defense by pharmacist, re language barrier, the scripts are written, med bottles label written, label to our meds received should match Doctor's script. That's reading and writing skills.
    Also, reading to see if that med can even be cut, if he unfamiliar. And that's scary. That's their professional skill.

He verbally said cut in half. He has kind of an important job to be sure everyone understands.
    I am always asked, do you have questions for.....or do you want to talk with..the pharmacist.

It does seem that difficulties come out at least expected situations, at times! I've often felt I wish I had video or voice recorder going with some of my experiences.
    The ones like yours, where you're left there thinking, did this really just happen?

In addition, for me it would be, "is anyone even going to believe me?"

Thanks so for sharing your situation!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Savage first I agree it could have gotten so out of control and all of us that deal with running here and there to find meds. it is exhausting and so many now with the cold and effort it just sky rockets the pain.
    She called me and I told her exactly what had happened and her first response was " I do have a trainee here". I thought OMG is she going to use that as an excuse. She then said "what day" and I told her and told her he had an accent. She said " I just cannot imagine anyone here doing that but I will check into it". I told her " I am worried that he has done that with others and felt she should take care of it immediately". I didn't like her attitude she just sounded like I was telling her I had to wait in line to long. I told her I had filed a complaint with the DEA and I heard this sound like gasp on the line and then she said "we do what we have to". Wow are you serious she should be saying I am so sorry I promise to handle this now.
    Maybe I am sensitive but I just hope it is taken care of and I think I will call her later and ask what she did to handle it or do you think I am going to far?
    Oh do I ever agree with you on the tape recorder in fact I bought one to record my Doctor visits just cause memory is not good right now but my husband told me it is against the law. I do think it is ok if you tell them but I need to check into it.
    Life is full of so many things to deal with and all these issues with Pharmacies I only pray could be made simpler in the future.
    Thanks Sherri
  • I have asked 2 different docs about using a recorder and they both said no. I was for my benefit. One was my neuro surgeon appt since my husband could not go with and the other was my primary. For some reason they really frown on it. Maybe that's what the Insurance provided tells them to say.