Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Woman Awakens From Surgery to Find Panty-Line Tattoo

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A New Jersey woman has sued her orthopedic surgeon after awakening from surgery to find a temporary tattoo below her panty line.

Elizabeth Mateo, of Camden County, N.J., filed her lawsuit Tuesday saying she found "a temporary tattoo of a red rose" below her panty line the morning after her surgery for a herniated disc, her attorney, Gregg A. Shivers, told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"She was extremely emotionally upset by it," Shivers told the paper.

Her surgeon, Steven Kirshner, does not deny he placed a tattoo on Mateo. His lawyer, Robert Agre, told the Inquirer that the doctor has left washable marks on patients before to improve their spirits as they heal.

"What's offensive about this complaint is that it suggests something he did was intended to be prurient, and nothing could be further from the truth," Agre told the paper. "It was intended just to make the patient feel better."

Mateo is seeking punitive and compensatory damages.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    There is no reason any physician could give that would be acceptable to do what he did. I dont care what his intentions where, he basically violated a patient.
    I would try everything possible to get that doctor removed from the medical profession. If he did it this time, you only have to wonder what he has done in the past and what he will do in the future
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think he's just waiting to get the reaction he wants to persue a woman on a personel level.He's a stalker.
  • Well I just don't know what to think about that. During the pre-surgery phase, I just wouldn't think to say, "oh ya, and no tattoos, okay?" Bad enough I already have to remind them not to leave any instruments in me. Check the insision before closing it!

• I hope for future patients sake, he is removed that behavior has no business in the medical profession.
  • I found this extremely funny. A permanent one would not be so nice.

• If my surgeon had drawn a smiley on my hand, whilst I was awake, with the understanding it was to cheer me up and keep me smiling during my recovery, then that may be ok ,I would have a choice, but the thought of a surgeon scribbling away under my pantie line whilst I was unconscious , well thats just creepy, an assault he should pay dearly for, and any other medical staff who witnessed this should also have their abilities of being in such a trusted position questioned.
  • The article did not state whether the rose was on the front or the back and whether this was a Cervical or Lumbar procedure. Since you do not wear underwear to surgery when you have a lumbar procedure your big ole booty is already exposed in all it's glory for God and the rest of the surgical staff to see. I can see how a surgeon with a sense of humor (are there really some of those) might be tempted to put a smiley face and "have a nice day" on the bum. It's not like they pulled down her underwear, which is how the article makes it sound.

If I went in for a Cervical procedure and then found a rose in the front I would definately feel violated.
  • My husband used to be a Surgical Technician. He had alot of gory, sad and sometimes amusing stories to tell about his experiences in the OR. One thing that he always stressed was the respect that all personel must have for the dignity of the patient. We place alot of trust in the professionalism of hospital staff when we are "under the knife." So, I guess a tatoo would make you question what else they were doing while you were in there.
  • I think this is funny and if my surgeon had done it to me I would have had a good laugh out of it and probably taken a rose for him to my next appointment! I certainly wouldn't have gone down the offended route.

I used to work in pathology taking blood and often would draw a smiley on the bandaid. When the patients saw it (no matter what the age) I would get a smile in return!

• Reading this...

* "She was extremely emotionally upset by it," Shivers told the paper. *

* "Mateo is seeking punitive and compensatory damages." *

If she was trying to get this doctor's license pulled by the AMA then I'd say it was all about "the right thing". And I agree that your surgeon doing this is wrong. Although I would laugh my ass off if mine had done it...

Based on what I see this is a setup to get money. Our sue happy nation someone is always after a buck. This seems like another one. Sad...
  • I would have thought it was so funny.

I guess it would depend on where the rose was exactly and where the surgery was performed. Lets say it was Lumbar surgery with the incision on the back and the rose was next to the incision. Then it doesn't seem like a big deal.

If it was Lumbar surgery with the incision on the back and the rose was in the front under the panty line then that's just plain wrong. At the same time I guess that it was a rose makes it seem like a come on.

I agree though people are way too sue happy these days.

• Yeah I think this is funny as well. Although yes unprofessional to most, but I would have laughed.

In fact I've thought a temporary tatoo would be funny to put on my lower back before my lumbar fusion...Just something to entertain the staff while they are staring at my bare butt!! ;) :D

Wonder what it should say???
  • Good Idea, Christy. How 'bout...

• Nice one Ben----

I was thinking "No rear entry" ;)

One week and counting!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:
  • But, yeah, I guess it's really a matter of your relationship with your surgeon and then in what vein you take his sense of humor. I know my surgeon very well at this point and he knows me very well, and not that I could ever imagine him doing anything of the sort, he would know I would think it would be so funny!!! Once when he was explaining how they were bending me all over the place on the OR table (extend and flex), we had a good laugh about me being "bottoms up". I guess you have to have a sense of humor to appreciate this.

Back to this woman, I would really like to know if the surgery was a success for her. If it was I would like to think she would get over herself and appreciate her surgeon for the fine job he did.

Life's too short for grudges and all these frivolous lawsuits!
  • :D :D :D :D

We had a thread about this a long time ago on the other site and came up with some really funny tatoos that we, as patients, could leave for our surgeon. A different twist!
  • funny stuff!!!!

Better yet I would of liked to wake up from my surgery with a pantyline tatoo'd on my forehead. :jawdrop: LMAO !!!!!!
  • When I went in for my micro. The nurse turned me over and wrote on my back with a marker.

I asked her what she wrote. She said it is to remind your surgeon which surgery and disc he is doing... :jawdrop:

I saw no humor in that at all... :D
  • I think there may be some kind of protocols to mark surgical areas due to wrong side operations. I considered putting a tattoo over my scars but I don't know how much pain that would entail. So I just have scars..jade
  • What if she needs another surgery? Talk about burning bridges!
  • that ain't right. What if she misspelled discectomy for dickectomy?