Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chance of the body absorbing the disc and long term nerve damage

Hi, I've posted on here a few times - most recently below. I've had sciatica for 4 weeks and have been bed bound the whole time. Finally had my MRI results and it has shown that the disc material has protruded through the disc and is impinging the nerve (l5S1). I'm on 75mg codeine every 4 house and pregablin 150mg now moving to 300mg a day. Pain has subsided a bit but struggling to walk due to loss of strength in my leg (it dropped completely and was dragging for 1 day but now is back to being weak and a bit limp). I can't have epidural steroid injection due to other health problems which rule it out.

I've been advised that I could have surgery (microD L5S1) but I've already had it and don't want to do it unless I have to. Can the body reabsorb the disc even if the middle bit has protruded through the disc wall? Will the weakness come back even if the pain decreases? or is it a case that the longer I wait for surgery, the more time the nerve will be impinged and more chance of longer term damage to nerve and weakness in my leg?

It would be really good to hear from others who have had repeat surgeries and foot drop before surgery thanks.