Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica and Tramadol

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
My Spine Doctor (DO) prescribed these for my nerve pain about a week and a half ago. She said I need major neck surgery after seeing my MRI's. I've had constant pain in my left elbow and arm especially. Sometimes it flairs up on my right elbow and arm too with tingling in fingers.

I was taking Lyrica already for the nerve pain in my feet from my Diabetes. She almost tripled my dosage. I think the only side effect I've had is drowsiness from either one of these. I don't know how much they help with the pain.

I see the surgeon Monday July 21st. I have stenosis, bulging discs, nerve impingements involving c3 to c7 levels of my cervical spine.

Ken GreyEagle

• Ken,

Sorry to hear that you are having such a time of it. Glad to hear that your doc is staying on top of things though! Please let us know what the surgeon has to say on the 21st.

Best wishes,

• Hi, sorry about your problems. I basically have your same problems except in my lumbar spine, and no diabetes.

IMO you should be on, or atleast have a narcotic for breakthrough pain. Oxycodone IMO is the best narcotic for nerve pain, Im surprised you doctor didnt atleast give you hydrocodone. Tramadol is probably to weak for your pain.

Lyrica is ok, I cant tell if it works or not, on that and oxyIR I still frequently have days where my nerve pain kills me.

The good thing is I think you will improve a good amount after surgery, especially if it is your first one.
  • I just started Tramadol a couple weeks ago as a long-term pseudo-narcotic painkiller in conjunction with Topamax. My pain, at times bad, is not debilitating, you may want something stronger. The only narcotic I've tried is hydrocodone and it worked wonders.
This discussion has been closed.