Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper Left Back/Shoulder Pain that Extends down Left Side/Ribcage & Arm

Mom of 3MMom of 3 Posts: 3
edited 10/25/2015 - 6:50 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi All,

I've been having horrible pain in my mid-upper left back and shoulder for almost 2 years. I swear it all began when I stepped off a curb and felt a jarring sensation in my mid-back because the next day this little tug started adjacent to that spot and it's gotten progressively more painful and frequent ever since.

Where's my pain:
The pain literally runs in a rectangle around my upper left side. If you drew a line from my neck across to my left shoulder, down my side/ribs to my waist, across to my spine and then back up to the starting position, that would pretty much sum up where I have burning/aching/trigger points much of the day. Sometimes the pain's mostly along my side, sometimes at the base of my ribcage, sometimes along my spine and in my traps. I have virtually NO pain at night ever and much of the time I'm OK when I am sitting down (though I do feel it a bit at times but it's not horrible.) I also have intermittent aching/numbness/sensation of falling asleep in my left arm on occasion. The pain is horrible when I have it and I literally feel like I'm dying sometimes when all areas are acting up at the same time.

Tests I've had:
MRI of the cervical spine (showed mild herniation of C5-6 which the spine doc said he felt with 99% certainty was my problem), MRI (lying down) of thoracic spine (showed mild disc bulge at T6-7 with no cord impingement), CT of the abdomen and pelvis (to rule out kidneys and other internal issues), shoulder xray and chest xray.

Treatments I've tried:
PT for 6 weeks, massage, chiropractor, dry needling, anti-inflammatories, pain management (trigger point injections with lidocaine), muscle relaxers, and even essential oils! The only thing I have not tried is acupuncture (which may be next).

- Anyone else have side/rib pain?? I never see that listed when people talk about back pain so I feel alone with this. Pain management doc says it's not caused by thoracic bulge but could that be wrong?? The herniation/bulge is EXACTLY where I felt the sharp pain when unexpectedly walking off the curb and directly across from where my side pain and rhomboid pain is.
- Would a cervical and thoracic MRI rule out any kind of tumors in my lungs/chest or uncover abnormalities in my ribs or intercostal muscles?
- Could this be just an issue with my serratus anterior or lats? Other muscles? Subluxating rib??
- What else would you all try or suggest?

I feel like I'm going insane (I know many of you share that feeling and I'm SO sorry - it's awful!). Pain management doc tells me not to give up hope but I really feel like I'll be dealing with this forever. Would love any advice you all have.

Thank you! And hope you all find answers, too.