Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scheuermann's Disease/Surgery/Costs -Help- -Need Guidance-

cjm1991ccjm1991 Posts: 2
edited 10/26/2015 - 2:17 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello Spinal-Health Forums Users!

I'd like to start with alitle bit of background information. My name is Chris. I am 24 and live in Alabama I was disgnosed with kyposis at the age of 15. Of course, At that age my skeleton/bones were nearing full maturity - despite this I went ahead and tried bracing to help with my deformity. It didnt change a thing - and today - I'm still living with this horrid disease that holds me, my self esteem, and self-confidence back. My curve is a whopping 75 degrees atleast - it is likely even MORE then that due to last being checked in 2010 (5 years ago). I believe its progressed worse now - over the years. I was told last time I was checked to not worry about my spinal alimient issue - that even with it left alone it'd cause no further issues nor pain. I'd just have to live with my hump-back. A term I really cannot stand hearing. I cannot stand or sit for long periods of time - and frequently have to shift every so often even while sleeping due to discomfort. My quality of life is immensely eroded by this despite my young age. I do work and have a full time job, but I do not have health insurance coverage at all at the moment. I have looked up prices for plans - and despite Obama-care - I dont see where those plans are affortable in the slightest light. I know surgery is my ONLY option - as I have tried other non-operative treatments to be unsuccessful. BUT I also know that these surgical procedures are extremely expensive. We are talking $100,000 - $150,000 not even including loss of wages from recovery. I really want surgery badly I am confident that it would change my body image, my self confidence would improve, and my pain would subside to the point where I could function correctly. I also do not take pain meds because I cannot go to the docter to obtain the scripts or afford to go to the pharmacy to fill those. So I just live with the pain - as I was told to do. Its ashame the docter that told me that bascially said he didnt want to put any burden on the tax-payers to pay for my surgery and that I could take care of it when im in my 30s if need be at that time! Im like WOW.

My questions for you all -
1. How would a surgery such as a spinal - fusion surgery even be covered without insurance? I dont make much ($11/Hr - $20K/Yr - 17K after taxes) just above poverty level for a single head of household person.
2. Are there any types of grants that can be gotten for this surgery?
3. Where and what docter would be best to go to - to be seen again and rechecked? I went to an orthpeidc Surgeon in 2010. This was the one who told me he didnt want to do the surgery then (I asked for it) - I also had medicaid as a child then. He said its best to leave it alone and just live with it.
4. Ever heard of having the surgery in another country for WAY cheaper - without health insurance - or even having a traveling surgeon complete the process?

Anything else you guys can give thoughts on would be helpful. Thanks! All the kind words are very much apperciated!

We really are not your best source of information for you questions. I would contact local hospitals, churches, clinic to get some answers