Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C7 ACDF on Oct 28 - very anxious!

AryinVAAAryinVA Posts: 6
edited 10/26/2015 - 4:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all! I've been lurking the boards for the past couple of months as I went through conservative therapy for my neck/shoulder/arm issues. Finally after 6 weeks of physical therapy and medication treatment, I was given an MRI that showed 2 herniated discs (at C5/C6 and C6/C7) pinching nerve roots and "significant" spinal stenosis (possibly causing the nerve pain in my legs/feet?) The doctor recommended bypassing the epidural injections and going straight to surgery. He said the injection may help the inflammation (I also have arthritis and calcifications) but could hide the damage being done to the nerves. After discussing things with my husband and a second opinion of my MRI/Xrays confirming the diagnosis, I decided to go for the surgery, and we decided sooner rather than later. Thus, I'm having surgery this Wednesday (Oct 28) I've decided to go with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in spine surgery. I went with an ortho because I have so much arthritis, I felt he could deal with the bone spurring better.

I'm comfortable with my decision, yet I'm very nervous about the recovery. I've gone through several involved surgeries before, but they never involved my spinal column or neck. I'm grateful for these forums since I'm learning what to expect; however, some of the forum posts scare the bejesus out of me! Yet, I do know that many of the posts are the exception to the rule. So I take a deep breath and imagine only good outcomes.

Thank you for this site and for these forums. It's great to have a place where I can vocalize my fears, yet not worry my family or listen to "oh, you'll be fine" over and over.
ACDF C5-C7 10/28/2015

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I know how scary spine surgery can be. I've had 2 neck surgeries.
    I agree, that when you search the Internet, you are most likely going to hear a lot of horror stories!
    One way to look at it is to think that there is are a lot more successful surgeries that we just don't hear about because those people are out living their lives.
    There is a forum on this site called surgery must haves. It has a lot of good tips for people facing surgery.
    Let us know how your surgery goes.
    I wish you well.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History