Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Since Your Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Water Cooler
Has you noticed an increase of people you know/kinda know telling you about their back problems? Or their mother's back problems? Or their sister's, best friend's, cousin's cat having back problems?

Or is just me?

I swear - at least 3x per week, someone has a story for me or is asking me for "back advice" for them or a member of their family.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846

No question about that. I was at a Ladies Lucheon at our club the other day (dont fret, its open to men also)
    I was amazed at how many people talked about their bad backs. Granted many know about my problems, but still there were at least 5 people that complained.
    One of them did have actual spinal disc surgery.

I never poo-poo anyone that says that they are having back problems. But what is funny, is those that have a muscle pull think their problem is the worse in the world - ant tell you so over and over.

But I really believe that Man (meaning collectively women and men) have been abusing their backs for centuries. From several hundreds of years ago when physical labor was the only way to survive to todays folks that have no idea on how to pick up an object. Its was just a matter of time before the back started to wear down.
    Where we really meant to walk on two legs? Primate walking on four have a lot less back problems than we do (Not that I have had any recent communications with a 4legged primate, but have read some journals)

When I have some delivery men or workmen come to my house and I watch they way they bend or pick up objects, I almost always jump in and tell them about the problems in using your back incorrectly.

So, yes I hear more and more people talk about their back problems. Thats today, I believe in about 10 years you will start to hear more and more people talk about their neck problems as well.

It seems like only a matter of time. There are ways to minimize spinal problems... I just wish I know of some of those when I was young!

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • maybe cause they think since your going through your back issues, they think you know more cause of your experience with it. does it make sense?
    dr cranky you wanted in the waiting area.
    don't forget to send them a bill
    love ya
    soft hugs
  • It is absolutely true. Once I started telling people about my spinal surgery, a lot of people said, "oh, I had that too", of course they could have anything from laminectomy to fusion. A good friend called me from South America when she found out about my surgery, telling me about hers. Another friend emailed from Kentucky telling me about her mom going through the same thing. Two of my neighbors had it, one even had hers done by the same surgeon I had. We are both completely enchanted with him, oh no, not because his manly charms, although he definitely has them, but with his surgical skills. Recently at a party I had a long chat with a friend who just found out about his spinal stenosis.

There are a lot of closet spineys out there!