Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cookietoddccookietodd Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, I give into it!!! I hurt today, I am 4+weeks postop and I am having continual muscle spasms between my shoulder blades and they hurt... Is this normal to be this far out???
(ACDF C6-7 with instrumentation) I am out of muscle relaxers, The pain med is not helping... I just need to vent and go back tto the recliner with heat and ice :( . Thanks for listening...

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Cookietodd, 4 weeks post ACDF surgery is really NOT a long period of time. There are bound to be some better days and days when things just dont feel that great.
    I remember while recovery from my ACDF surgeries, that my biggest complaint was muscle spasms between my shoulder blades. I know how important it was to be taking muscle relaxers because if I didnt, the muscles would just continue to tense up causing additional discomfort.

See if you can call your doctor about calling in a script for some type of muscle relaxer. Better to start taking that then to let the muscles get too tight.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks, I know to do that just want to be super woman!!!
  • But even so, from what I've read here it's still early days after a fusion surgery. People forget that what you've had is a major surgery and it can take a long time for things to settle down. I agree with Ron, see if you can get another prescription to help with the pain in the meantime.

Good luck and I hope things settle down for you. Remember you are going to have lots of ups and downs during your recovery so don't give up hope and stay positive - it will get better! Hugs, Spicey
  • I have had other surgeries before knee, abd. and have bounced right back. I expected that this time. I know that this is major surgery and I am sure I have over done . Moving 2 college age kids, going on a 4 hour trip in a car to Ark, riding in a boat fourth of July ...( I think that what got me.) Dinner parties...Just trying to go with my life and my body said WOW!!!
    Wait a minute time out!!!

I have called the Pharm for them to call Dr. office tomorrow for refill and will see NS on Monday for scheduled follow up.
    I know I am doing well I am just pushing it. I am trying to control something that has controlled me for over a year and it doesn't work that way.

My husband fixed dinner and filled the jacuzzi tonight, rubbed my back that helped some to change the muscle firing. I'm ready for bed I will take some pain med and hopefully sleep a little. I am so much better than I was early today it was like everything clamped down between my shoulder blades and I couldn't do anything to break the cycle.. This has been going on for two days and I have tried to make light of it. I am blessed and loved by many wonderful people some whom I have never met, thanks for the support. Theresa