Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Pain/Natural Fusion?

bluezzzzbbluezzzz Posts: 1
edited 10/28/2015 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I've always used these forums for help by using the search function. But I feel like I could use a little extra help. The too long didn't read portion is at the end.

I'm in my early thirties. I first hurt my back in my late teens. That was when I had my first MRI showing bludging discs with a herniation at one of the lower levels, and DDD. We were able to alleviate the pain with months of PT. About five years later (with several small bouts of issues in between), I started having sciatic pain in my right leg. I ended up going to my GP who gave me some sort of shot in my back to manage the pain. I felt immediately better, followed by a numb back half of a leg. Followed up with a MRI, found out I had a herniated disc with bits that were broken off, so we did a microdisectomy. I never had the sciatic pain again after this surgery but never regained feeling in my leg. Four years later, started having bad muscle spasms that wouldn't stop in the same numb leg. Went to PT, where they did some manipulation, and spasming stopped but shortly after my right half of my foot and a couple of toes went numb. Another MRI, showed another herniated disc, so another microdisectomy was scheduled. Numbness didn't change after surgery. I can't remember what surgery was for what level but one was for L4/L5 and the other was for L5/S1. I also have a herniated disc at L3/L4, which apparently I have no symptoms of. I have been told that my DDD is pretty bad, and that at my last surgery (which was 4 years ago), that my discs were going to start fusing together naturally. I wish I would have asked more questions about this then...

So now I am not in constant pain. But I'm uncomfortable. I can't sleep very good at night. Everytime I try to roll from my back to my side, it is painful. My right hip feels really tight and sort of painful. My tailbone also hurts after sitting and then going into standing. I guess I'm wondering, can anyone describe to me what it feels like when your vertebrae start to fuse together naturally? Or what the bone on bone pain feels like? I just don't know if this is just one of my little normal bouts of back issues or if this is another more serious thing.

I've been to my GP, and he is relatively new, and I left there feeling like he was diagnosing me with depression. I'm not. I'm hurting - but I'm still living my life. He wanted to prescribe me Neurontin to help with the pain. But I'm not one to take pain meds - I just don't feel like they help me.

TLDR: Long history of back issues with DDD. Wondering what it feels like when your vertebrae start to fuse together naturally? Also what does bone on bone back pain feel like?

Thank you!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

I Welcome you! Although, I notice you are a member since 2011, but this your first post.
    There is so much new information on Welcome link!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History