Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

katzkkatz Posts: 4
edited 10/28/2015 - 10:21 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, I am a 63 year old female with lumbar spinal stenosis. I am new to this board and am so grateful to find it. I have degenerative disc disease and now have lumbar stenosis that requires surgery. This is my first time with this. I am overweight and wonder if this causes it. My symptoms started with pain down my right leg, I went for an epidural and about a week later the pain was getting better. Then the pain was down the left leg, I have a hard time walking, driving, sitting, bending over to pick things up. I also have a hard time finding the right spot to sleep in. Also, I have CIDP(neurological disease), that causes neuropathy in my hands and feet I have terrible numbness and pain in both areas. Now this, spinal stenosis (like I need more pain). My question is, after surgery they say no bending, twisting or lifting for 4 weeks. Do you guys that have experienced this have any suggestions how to get along for this time to help make it easier? I am married, but my husband works long hours, 12 - 14 hrs a day, and my daughter is not home much with working and college. I do not have friends to help and no close relatives. Thanks a lot.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I just had surgery 7 weeks ago. I had Home care for 3 weeks and that really helped. I had a nurse , 2 PT's, and an aid to help me bath and change my bed all came 3x's a week for 3 weeks. Many friends sent food and we did lots of delivery for food. Tools I find very helpful are the reacher (bought on Amazon), lots of pillows for sitting on, and behind me and in bed...lots and lots of pillows. I am short and have a stool by our bed to be able to roll onto the bed. I of course have a walker and use a am/fm radio for my walking exercise. Also, the hospital gave me refillable ice packs that I used a lot and still do once in a while. Hope this helps. I am going so much better than I ever thought!
  • Thanks for the info. I was wondering about home health care after surgery. Does the surgery leave you disabled a lot? My Dr. did not mention home care for me. I am having lumbar stenosis surgery.
  • Hi Katz, I am also new to this post but have been thru all the symptoms you are having. I had spinal fusion surgery with metal and screws. To be honest it has been a rough long road! I have a great support system, but if I had any other option other than surgery, would have taken it! It has been 20 months since my surgery and I am still not able to work! I am a 60yr old female that was very active and now my mobility and pain have greatly impacted my quality of life! Do everything you can before resorting to surgery! Hope you find peace and relief! Sheila