Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cauda Equina

Rhein13RRhein13 Posts: 1
edited 10/29/2015 - 4:04 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone. Im new here and could really use your help.

3 1/2 months ago I noticed I could no longer stop my urine stream. Then I noticed I could no longer feel the urine come out of my urethra. Soon after I was experiencing shooting pains in anus,perineum,penis,lower abdomen, and then I got numbness on right side of scrotum,perineum,groin,anus, and lower inner buttocks.

A couple of weeks later I lost most bladder sensation and have had bouts of bowel urge incontinence but have made it to the toilet on time.

I went to the ER and was immediately checked for Cauda Equina. Rectal tone was good and Mri showed 2 small central disk bulges at L4/L5 and L5/S1. I was released.

After seeing my doctor a couple of weeks later I was sent for another Lumbar sacral Mri. This is the report.

At L4-L5 there is a small central disc protrusion as well as signal intensity changes and pathologic enhancement most consistent with a fissure in the posteriorannulae fibers.

At L5-S1 there is a small central disc protrusion displacing the anterior epidural fat with possible encroachment on the right S1 nerve root. There are also signal intensity changes and pathalogic enhancement consistent with a fissure in the posterior annular fibers.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to start urination. The numbness is sometimes very mild but with arousal becomes worse. My bowels now seem to function normally 90 percent of the time.

I've seen an orthopedic surgeon and just today seen a Neurosurgeon. I mentioned my fear of an incomplete Cauda Equina and both said not a chance. Nobody is listening to me and I keep getting blown off. Any ideas of what I can do next?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Was in same situation as you, although my CES symptoms were not as severe.

Lying down MRI showed nothing.

Upright MRI, in flexed, neutral and extended, showed a large L4-5 herneation and a L5-S1 retrolisthesis crushing my nerves.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.