Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

questions about osteoarthritis

dorothyddorothy Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I have facet joint disease which I'm told is osteoarthritis.
My PM dr. gave me a facet nerve block and it gave me very
short relief. He wants to do a second one and burn the nerves. I also have some osteoarthritis in my spine. I go for acupunture and he feels that exercise would help me and
I should go for PT. My PM dr. says PT will not help me. About a year ago, I tried PT and the massage gave me muscle
spasms in my back. My questions-should I see an osteo-
rheumotoid dr.-would that help me? Should I go for the second nerve block or try PT again? Does anyone have any advice? As well as getting pain in my lower back, I get pain in my buttock with a sharp pain in my spine and at times, muscle spasms.
MRI shows DDD and facet disease-L5-S1 is very desiccated and narrowed, moderate bilateral L-5 foraminal stenosis
meds are ultram and alleve or celebrex.
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Dorothy,
    You need to consult a Rheumatologist. I've have severe OA and my rheumy has been awesome for me. I have never had nerve blocks and from what I
    have researched they seem to be temporary.
    I have had a lumbar laminectomy and a multi-level cervical fusion within the past two years and I'm doing pretty darn good. The OA continues to march on thru my body so I'm certain there will be other surgeries in the future.
    Please get a referrel from your Dr to a good rheumy otherwise ask people
    you know for a reference of a good rheumatologist in your area.
    If you have any questions just PM me.
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • I think I posted in the wrong place. Anyway, has anyone
    had muscle spasms in their lower back or spine from arthritis or facet joint disease? I just had severe back
    spasms and I took a skelaxin and I hope it helps. Would
    appreciate any replies. Thanks.
  • :) hi! i saw this was your third post and i wanted to welcome you to the forum. have you told your story up in "Newcomers" yet? i may have just missed it. anyway, i have facet problems just as you do. having a radio frequency burn just might help but it is temporary as you mentioned. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • causes heart problems and pinholes in digestion process so you will get weaker and weaker from lack of nutrition. it should be taken off the market. i was on it for many years till i did my research (going down the tubes) even a doctor i went to didn't know what was wrong with my energy.
  • causes heart problems and pinholes in digestion process so you will get weaker and weaker from lack of nutrition. it should be taken off the market. i was on it for many years till i did my research (going down the tubes) even a doctor i went to didn't know what was wrong with my energy.
  • If you can tolerate celebrex and it helps, then it should be ok for the short term. All NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories) are really hard on the stomach. You could develop a GI bleed if taken for a long period of time, not necessarily but potentially. Yes, it does have some cardiac issues, but really all of the nsaid do, they are just not as published as this particular class. Celebrex is the only one left on the US market in this class. Vioxx and Bextra were both pulled by the FDA. Some people think they were too hasty, some people think that celebrex should also be pulled. If the FDA were around when aspirin was put on the market, it never would have passed FDA approval. I personnally cannot take NSAIDS, all of them kill my stomach after a few days.
    Just had my 7th round of facet joint and SI injections and am scheduled for radio frequency lesioning in about 10 days. My biggest problem was insurance approval.
    OZ

• Between the gout, my knee and some facet and sacroiliac joint issues that need his expertise my Rheumatologist has stepped up the seriousness of my symptoms.

I just got over an allergic reaction to indomicin(a NSAID) and now that ends my usage of that class of drugs.A real bummer as they are the first line pain relief for arthritis inflammation/pain.I still sneak in an Aleve when I can till the side effects prove to be too much.If you can tolerate them, best bet for sure.

So here I sit 2 weeks into a gout attack hoping it will end.My PCP authorized me to use my norco @ 6x daily to at least help me stay half way sane.But a Rheumatologist are your best bet for arthritis conditions.
  • You can Read my Details, My Pain started as Severe Spasms than Tightness in my low back when getting up, Very hard to Stand up straight because of the Tightness and Severe Muscle Spasms Daily for abt 4+months.
    Osteoarthritis on my L5-S1
  • I seen a Rheumatologist once to help diagnose my condition and the first time did Blood test to rule out anything serious and said it was most likely my muscles. Once my MRI came back as Osteoarthritis of my Facet Joints.
    I sent her an Email asking to see her again & She said unfortunately I can't really help you with Ostearthritis theres not much we can do as Rheumatologist with this condition & I should just continue seeing my Pain mgmt Dr bcs I'd be in better hands there. I felt insulted & confused because I thought such as you say to see a Rheum. for this type of condition.. So I made a post on my experience with the Rheumatologist or Pain Dr.? The Response I got was a Rheumatologist can't help much...
    Your really fortunate you have a Great Dr.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.