Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vertebrectomy... what exactly is it?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an ACDF last month and just got the doctor's bill. Two of the line items are "vertebrectomy." Does anyone know what this actually encompasses? There seems to be little info I can find on Google and the search engine here.

• Hey Punker,

If you type in "vertebrectomy" under the search line there are a lot of links you can explore. The brief explanation is that it is "a surgicalexcision of a vetrebra".

At another site I found this explanation:

This operation is performed either when there is abnormality affecting the bone of the vertebral body, such as a tumour deposit, or when there is pathology affecting the disc above and below one bone and the disc material is protruding behind the body of the intervening vertebra.

The Operation is performed in exactly the same manner as an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, through a small incision in the front of the neck. The vertebral body is removed to reveal the ligament below which separates it from the dura, the membrane lining the spinal canal. This ligament is usually also removed and the spine thereby decompressed. The body of the vertebra is replaced either with a bone graft from the iliac crest (hip) or using a metal cage containing the bone fragments which were removed and act as a graft. A metal plate is often used to reinforce either type of fixation.

• Thanks. I only seem to get two "hits" when I search that term here and the several on Google were not very helpful, but... you explained it :-)

Thank you.

I guess I am confused a little. I believe I had a three level ACDF, a two level vertebrectomy, and a single level corpectomy... or at least those are some of the line items on the bill. Maybe he took out the discs *and* vertebra? I know that he replaced discs with Hydrosorb and Infuse, but was unaware that he also replaced the bone as well?

I have an appointment with him tomorrow... will ask him about it.

Thanks again.