Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I continue to lose my Oxycodone.

RogerL62RRogerL62 Posts: 2
edited 11/01/2015 - 5:44 AM in Pain Medications
Working construction and trying to remember where to store my medication has continued to become an issue. I don't like carrying around the prescription bottle on site because it is too bulky and it has been stolen before out of my lunch cooler. Does anyone have an answer to how I can carry a few pills on me throughout the work day where they won't be lost or crushed? The less bulky the better.

Thanks for any advice.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    There are very small pill containers..pill boxes...to prevent the crushing.
    Size would be good for front pocket in jeans and small enough to be unseen by others.
    And they would be on your person at all times.
    They would just hold the small amount of pills you would need for that day.

You can purchase anywhere...check online, etc.... I happened to find mine by happy accident at an office supply store!
    Mine only 99cents. :)

It is good you are addressing this problem, and realize you must keep meds safe.
    It so very dangerous for you and others for their stealing.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• If you ask your pharmacy, they may give you a medication label to put on your pillbox to identify what's in it and that it's prescribed to you. In some states, you must keep the medication in the original container or risk being busted.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I must just be lucky or have an innocent look
    I never carry more than s days worth of all my medications .

I keep them in a small metal container . I've been through several TSA checks at airports and no one ever questioned the contents.

But I also have the app to my pharmacy that can identify my medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The biggest no no, (and I'm guilty of this from time to time), is to keep your medication in a zip lock baggie in your pocket with no identification. A retired police officer told me once that officers will arrest "their own mom's" for keeping meds in plastic bags. That's because drug dealers use the baggies to distribute their illegal drugs.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • If you have a Container Store or something similar, try there - they have an abundance of sizes and shapes.
  • If you search Amazon for "pocket pill case" there are many options there. Most of them are only 5-10 dollars.
    All questions and answers are given from a personal perspective only. I have congenital stenosis from C4-C7, and T7-S1. I am actively being seen my by doctor and following his advice. I strongly suggest that you do the same.
  • RogerL62RRogerL62 Posts: 2
    edited 11/25/2015 - 7:44 PM
    Thank you all for your post.

My wife bought me a new wallet and found it by searching on google or facebook:

Pill Pocket Wallet

The wallet has a built in medication container that seals tight and prevents the pills from crushing. It has made taking my daily dose super convenient since it holds about 4-5 pills. We are buying some for other family members who we know face a similar difficulty.

My wife found on facebook Pill Pocket Wallet is running a black Friday special for 20% off all merchandise. She said the code is "thanks"

• One should NEVER carry prescribed meds in anything but the pharmaceutical container. This goes 100 x for pain meds now that we have governmental mania over pain meds and its interference with a physician's decisions regarding pain management (see current heroin epidemic for more). Explain your problem and ask your physician to contact your pharmacist (and this will be easier in a small pharmacy where you are known by the pharmacists) to put the proper med label on the smallest/best-shaped/hardest vial or container available and give it to you empty (or if they're as paranoid as they should be-split the Rx so the container is dispensed with a few pills in it). You have a further concern in that you have OSHA oversight on your job site. I don't know what your trade is, but if there was an injury accident and you were found to be in possession of narcotics, not in the pharmacy container (even though legally prescribed) it will add to your woes bigtime. If a cop is involved at any point you will likely be cuffed and incarcerated until you make bond. Same would happen if you got pulled over for speeding, opened your wallet and the cop saw the pills. I'm not anti-cop and abhor drug abuse, but pain medication possession and abuse are VERY VERY high on every cop's radar. Be careful. From an hour's research online, it appears in some states one can carry SOME meds in a container other than the original. In the case of controlled substances, they must be in the original container. From an article on a website for persons with chronic illness: "Take special care when leaving home with drugs that are on the controlled substance list. The rules for carrying these drugs are quite strict, and carrying these drugs outside of their original container and without the attached prescription, can be a felony crime in some states—even if the medications have been prescribed legally by a doctor." I'm not a lawyer, I don't know it that's true but it likely is.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
    With my oxycodone. I use my sports type bra. I put them in the pocket where the padding is. Always safe for me! Atleast so far. Nobody knows. lol

Sue W
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    We both must have pretty honest faces! I take 8 prescription medications a day- three of these are controlled meds. I'd need a granny sack to carry all of that with me!

When travelling it's always good to look up the TSA site before flights but last time I flew I could have a week's worth of each medication in a weekly med minder. Nothing needed to be labeled. (If it is labeled it's more likely to be a problem for TSA and some less than ethical workers! They are less likely to take a med they think may be fun or may be just for high blood pressure or hormone replacement!)

I used to think that I needed to be toting my pharmacy info, my doctors info, all my medication info.... in 25 years of being on controlled meds I have never once been questioned any place other than a hospital or doctor's office.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)