Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

preparing for acdf c5-c6

c5_6taizecc5_6taize Posts: 2
edited 11/02/2015 - 2:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi II'm Taize

Live in N.Ireland, early 40s, single, live alone(pine for a dog!), c5-6 stenosis, c6 nerve root impingement, 5 years to acdf possibility. 1st symptoms 5 years ago, catalogues of wrong diagnoses and treatments. Surgery 1st tabled (pun!) 4years ago by surgeon with as much bedside manner as a lamp. G.p +2nd opinion against it. Fast-forward to year 3 of injury (2years after Mr lamp), 2nd surgical opinion + 2nd MRI, neurosurgeon told me, surgery only possibility for recovery. Referral by NHS (g.p. said best 500 euro I ever spent), waited 5 months to see 2nd NHS surgeon who was amenable and in agreement. Fast forward to this year 5th in December and I've been waiting 13months, so long they had to repeat the MRI now have 2 osteophytes narrowing the foriminal canal which have to be chiseled off. I won't know if metal hardware or some kind of paste? Will be used as glue, at the pre-op they sent a junior doctor so am unclear.

My question is, to those living in u.k? I am a second carer in that I do not work for all the reasons above, (I do volunteer) and I support my dad in caring for my mum who has severe M.S. and 2 other serious conditions, she requires 24/7 support, I have no partner nor no friend able or willing to care for me at my home. I am on 7days notice or 24hr notice if cancelation for acdf, my father knows it is coming but has no idea it is finally imminent yet because of serious life events i n our family that have taken precedence, my mum has no clue about my needing op(though she knows op exists) as stress affects her conditions and the stress of her stressing me for the past 13months, if she HAD known would have been too much for us both. I aim to tell them when I get the call which could be,no Guarantee! Before Christmas, I am fully physically prepared thanks to a list from here, not prepared for isolated enclosure apart from TV n internet just in! I have written out the short factual parts of what has happened, why I have not told her, all possible facts n figures re op n outcomes, how I am going to manage and what she\they can do for me I.e. stay calm!

Anyone else single with elderly parents and facing surgery? Any psychological advice or 'wish I had done that's advice for me and or to give my parents? My friends are either married\with kids\live in other countries and\or have I'll health of their own. I belong to a church that appears to support it's members at times like this, let,,'s see!
I didn't understand the welcome thread i n where I could/should post MY introduction message so forgive me.