Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

ShionSShion Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
About three years ago I started training in a gym. I was completely inexperienced and didn't know what I was doing... But being cocky and 19, and thinking I knew better than everyone else, I decided I'd start looking up information on my own and train myself.

I started deadlifting... Horrible, horrible form. At first I was doing okay despite the bad form, and managed to deal with 225 pounds just fine. The bar, if I remember correctly, was always about a foot away from my feet. That was my starting position. For those that don't know, the bar should be directly above the center of the feet.

I felt a rip in my lower back. I was in bed for a week, completely unable to move or do anything without feeling excruciating pain. As time went on, I began to feel gradually better. A month later, I was fine, or so I felt...

I decided to do things differently and went on to inform myself on proper form. I started squatting, and for a few months things were going well. I was so disciplined in my working out that I could not conceive missing a single day, and so one day after a long shift at work, and being completely exhausted, I still went... To squat.

My back rounded on the last repetition and I felt and heard a pop in my back. The pain has never stopped since, and I went to a doctor a few months ago.

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc. It would seem the swelling is 2cm long, pressing on my sciatica. I felt constant pain running down my left leg, and sometimes my right leg too. The local pain was bad... I felt it right at the top of my buttcrack all the way up to where the laterals meet, right above the lower back.

My doctor had me take three cortisone shots. They helped a lot with the pain going down the legs, but the local pain is still the same... And going back to the first injury, deadlifting, that produced an unbalance in my pelvis. It's higher on the right side, and I think that has a lot to do with why the swelling of the disc has not gone down, because there's always one side pressing more than the other. I could be wrong, but I think it's plausible...

So are there any experiences resembling mine? I don't know what to do... I love lifting, I love it to death, and I don't want to stop. I still do it but of course I don't do any deadlifting, squatting, or any exercise which involves my lower back any more than I'd like.

I saw a physical therapist after my first injury. Of course things weren't as bad back then, but she said I had a weak left gluteus medius, and that had caused the weak muscle to transfer more load than the back could handle, which lead to the injury...

So to summarize, I have a herniated disc pressing on my left sciatica and an unbalanced pelvis. I'm scheduled to see my doctor either next monday or the monday after. Are there any treatment options I should consider over others?

Thanks, and sorry for the long read.
advertisement

Comments

• at the top of this page. There is lots of info there on the different procedures available if you click on treatment and it is very informative. I think that would be a good place to learn and help make your decision. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Welcome to the forum! My recommendation is to talk to your doc who'll probably put you in contact with the same or another physical therapist, and then ask the PT. My PT was awesome about customizing exersizes to not anger the bad area. I have a whole regime I do on my own at the gym after the PT taught me the right way to do them. Learn from your history, work with your PT, and do what works best for you.

Tammy
  • Thank you for the welcome. It's a tough injury, and from reading other posts and other people's daily life and story of injuries, I'm really not in that bad of a shape. I just know that if I don't kill this at the root, I will be a very miserable man when I get older.
  • Sorry for you pain but you came to the right place to get info!!!

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.