Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posterior cervical laminectomy coming up 11/13

leilalleila Posts: 21
edited 11/01/2015 - 3:13 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 76, having this surgery for pressure on nerves. For 6 months I have had tingling, burning L shoulder, neck, down arm sometimes. PT did not work, an injection did little. I know it is structural and I will lose more hand strength if I don't do the surgery. I have stenosis --- the nerves want to be free and dance. Not crazy about arthritis but I have things that can be fixed, it's having a good attitude and acceptance. I have spurs and am naturally fused, no disc space so the posterior approach is the way for me. The surgeon said, men with a lot of neck muscle have a harder time, but i am prepared. I have cooked and frozen food for an army. I am pretty healthy, not on meds, lots of energy, slender, losing height tho--ha ha, have hip replacements, my end stage knees are hanging in so i don't do more than 1 1/2 miles on the tread mill. I have accepted that I will do whatever I need to do to keep the body moving. He uses valium for muscles, wow, with a pain med I'll be sleeping. i have to be careful. he said I'd have a very quiet month. I told him I would surprise him and get some hand strength back and do very well. I hate the constipation ya get with opiates. I hope it is not worse than any other surgery I have had, just different. I am bringing a quart of carrot juice to the hopsital and a thermos of my nutriblender soup for after surgery to get more vitamins. He said I'll be in for 2 days for pain control. I told the anesthesia to knock me out as fast as he can. I get phobic going on an operating room table. They will work with me. I could go without the surgery for now but any more weakness in my hands woud always worry me, it can't happen. he can't get to the spurs, they are n the front, it is a 5 hour surgery, he said he has a lot of work to do.

day 1 of surgery are the dems debates. I love Bernie and hope I will be up for it.

I'd appreciate any one sending me a note. Just for further understanding and sharing.

Leila deurell

• I wish I had some information to share with you, but unfortunately I don't. I am getting ready for anterior ACDF fusion at C6-C7 and the doctor told me that it is likely I will later need a posterior laminectomy . I asked him why he couldn't do both at one time and he said it was just too much surgery at once.

I am sorry I can't help you, but please come back after your surgery and share your experiences for those who may have this surgery in their future.

P.S. The one good thing about the posterior surgery is that you won't face the swallowing issues that are common with an anterior approach.
    C6-C7 fusion -January 20, 2016
  • One thing I should add is that just today I spoke with a 79-year-old retired nurse who two years ago had a four level posterior fusion. She mentioned she had stenosis, so I'm guessing that while they were in there fusing from the posterior approach, they also did a laminectomy. She said she had a long recovery -- about 4 months. She was in the hospital for about 5 days after surgery. By the time she was out of the hospital, she was off pain medication.

Because of the posterior approach, she said she was able to sleep flat after the surgery. After the anterior approach, people seem to be required to sleep with their head elevated. And of course since the surgery was posterior, she didn't have the swallowing issues that are so common with anterior approach.
    C6-C7 fusion -January 20, 2016