Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any insight?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,
I am new on this board, just joined the site the other day infact.
I have several things going on physically (job injury). One of them we do know for sure is an xray showed cervical degenerative arthritis and disc disease c6/c7. thats how the report worded it. It has been over two months now and i am still in extreme pain at times, other times, i am still in pain. It just depends what i am doing as to what part hurts. Example.
If i sit a certain way a different part of my neck hurts, almost all the time my head hurts. coming up the back an mostly on the right side. my right should hurts, arm, forearm , my wrist is sore and it sounds odd but my thumb, pointer finger, middle finger, part of my ring finger and my pinky,. the fingers feel weird. the thumb aches though.
I have been having issues different parts of my back. again it depends on what i am doing , standing, walking or sitting. My back is always hurting in some area. I am no wuss when it comes to pain. many surgeries etc thru my life. But dang it! it hurts. My left knee is wacho, it hurts sometimes, inside, but also on the back of the tigh, and back of the upper calf. I feel like i am falling apart. When i get in to much pain i start sweating...sweating!! I have had a hysterectomy and have used hormone patches for yrs so it isnt that. anytime i use my right arm, which it already feels so weak, it hurts , not so much when i do stuff but after, it just aches. inbetween my shoulder blades and sometimes the right side of my chest. oh jeeze i am falling apart ugh. I have read some on here and i know you all can understand where i am coming from. My dr wants to get me in with a pain dr, but my employer is saying no, they are saying they want me back to work, even if it is modified duty. How am i supposed to do anything when i cant sit, or stand for very long. I am so tired, physically drained. emotionally it is starting to takes its towl on me. I have to rely on family to help me out with things i should be able to. does anyone have any advice? do any of these symptoms sound familiaar or am i just nuts? what can i do? thanks for listening to me whine. i try not to talk about it to my family, i would think it gets old to them. would be nice to have different response when hubby asks me how i am feeling daily.

• I dont have much to offer you, as I am struggling myself with constant neck/shoulder, back/hip pains. I too can't do anything normal people can do, I'm 36. Walking through a grocery store is torture, as is standing in the line at the store. I guess I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I know how you feel. I also have DJD of the neck too, along with spurring and bulged disc, the drs keep telling me none of that should be causing my NONSTOP CONSTANT neck pain, spasm, and headaches. I have been told it is stress, depression, the way I slept, etc etc. It is discouraging, but I can't just give up because I refuse to live this way. You should be able to take FMLA from work, and they can't tell you you can't. Would your dr write you a note for light duty, or time off? Good luck.
  • sory to hear your feeling bad like me . The companies dr is the first one i saw. He didnt do any tests, didnt even touch me actually, he just gave me pain meds, steriouds and pt. It made it worse. the first time he saw me he put me on lite duty. I am a truck driver, so the company wnted me to go from ky to ga to live in hotel that they paid for, and i would do modified duty in the office. All that would have been fine and dandy if i could dress myself, brush my own hair, let alone take the ride there. Driving or riding causes me EXTREME pain. So i had to turn down the modified duty, so i get no check. I had to move to MD to be with family so they could help me daily. I was only 30 min from the airport that i flew out of and i was oh man there are no words for that pain. My new dr here says NO WORK but the company says it isnt acceptable, they still want me to go to ga to do modified duty. They have turned down me seeing a pm dr. I am waiting for my lawyer to take care of all that. I walk with a cane now because i get dizzy and weak alot. Last thing i need is to land face first ugh. Hang in there. I am only 40 and it sucks to feel like i am over 100.
    i try to stay positive daily. But like right now, it hurts to much to sleep.
  • Sounds like you have nerve irritation in the spine, particularly around C6-7. This will affect shoulders, arms, head. Posture is a big factor, also activities.
    Anything involving the arms, especially above shoulder level; sitting at a desk using a computer is one of the worst; poorly supporting lounges and chairs; driving a car; gardening; chopping/stirring food; sitting around talking; sitting for long times. All of these can aggravate it.
    This all leads to muscle soreness too as your body tries to protect the damaged areas and makes the muscles tense. You then get inflammation and are so sore all of the time that you can never rest properly to recover a bit, sleep being almost impossible. This gets you more run down and unable to think clearly, which makes you tense and stressed because you can't cope-and so on it goes.
    In my case with similar symptoms it was 40 years or so of office work and in that about 20 or so of PC work that did me in, getting cervical arthritis and a bad back.
    Neck is just worn out. I cannot work and any PC activity gets me the next day! What I call the 'beartrap' tightens on my head.
    I am on a disability pension. In my last year of work I could really only be useful 2 days out of 5, and often by about 9.30 I was too sore to do anything. Early retirement was offered so I grabbed it.
    I take anti-inflammatory Mobic, plus various pain meds, Restavit for muscle relaxing, and get facet joint steroid injections to 7 points on the neck every 3 months.
    All that helps me get by reasonably well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    For an introduction, CLick on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

One of the first things I would look into is discussing with your doctor about getting a MRI done. Normal X-Rays are not sufficient to diagnose spinal disc problems. You need to find out whats going on with your cervical discs. The arthritis is one source of pain and discomfort and the Degnerative Disc Disease around C6/C7 can also cause the discomfort. You mentioned that these things were a result of a job injury? What happened, whiplash, fall, etc.
    I would be curious to see if there was any damage to one of the cervical discs.
    While the Arthritis and DDD is a source of discomfort,they generally would not be the sole cause of all the pain you say you are having. The DDD is very manageable through exercise and NSAIDS. Only on very rare occasions is surgery required on DDD. Arthritis is similar, some over the counter drugs are the best way to control that pain.

Has your doctor talk to you about what steps should now be taken? Are there any conservative treatments identified?
    There are so many, such as Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, Ultrasound, Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, Spinal Injections, etc.

I would think based on some of the other symptoms you are describing in your hand that there could be a nerve that is being impinged by one of your cervical discs. That is something again you need to discuss with your doctor

If you are having the pain you describe and your doctor wants to send you to a pain mgt doctor, but your employer
    is saying no, how can you get any diagnosis done? Is this a workmen compensation case where your employer is dictating what doctor your can see or is it a company doctor?

I am sorry,there are just too many unknowns from what you posted so it makes it difficult to figure out what your next steps should be. But by all means discuss this with the doctor you are seeing. I am getting the impression from what you wrote that the current doctor is not a neurosurgeon or neurologist.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for your input. Yes, there are several thins going on. My dr is NOT one of the company dr's he is a md prett much , he does occupational stuf, along with a whole other list. So far we have had me do the exrays, and nerve conduction test. He is having a fit because of my company denying me seeing a PM. I saw him today, he said that he is waiting for more defined reports from the radiologist from my xrays. he is doing all that he can. Pretty much right now it is pain meds and nsaids. He is really ticked at the company.
    My pain is at such a level alot of the time i get sick to my stomach. i have extreme weakness on my right side, ie, shoulder, arm etc. My shoulder kills me if i use my right arm.
    You asked how i got hurt. I am a truck driver. My truck wanst working properly gear wise, it kept popping out of gear, so after fighting with it for so long i had to start holding in gear. Every vibration etc i felt thru all of my body. My seat leaned to the right so i was sitting offset also. Once i started getting sore, it came to the point VERY quickly that there was a problem with my health. The first dr i went to was one of THEIRS he took no xrays, did no tests, in fact didnt even touch me. He sent me to pt, only made it worse, put me on pain meds and nsaids and had me on steriods for a bit. He put me on modified duty ASAP, i couldnt do the modified duty, it would mean i had to travel to ga from ky and i physically cant take rides or drives without extreme pain. SOOOOOO thats where we are. Waiting
This discussion has been closed.