Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any uk people

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi all any people in the uk had a spinal fusion get in touch feel i aint been told everything thanks

• Hi jinty.... we do have some UK members here but not too many. Hopefully some will come forward soon enough.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I'm in UK but I "just" ;) had an emergency discectomy/laminectomy.

Might be able to help with some aspects of the surgery though.

Feel free to PM me or write on here.
  • hi, i am in yorkshire and 4 weeks ago had L5/S1 fusion!! all went ok and my leg pain has gone!! still have back pain, and hip pain from bone graft area.
    still 3 weeks foo work to go, follow up with surg on 29 july.
    Tell me a bit about yourself, and we can swap tales x x claire x x :P
  • Im in UK and had discectomy 10 june. loads of problems since particularly numbness and no bowel/bladder control. see my other postings for details. dont want to bore you again.

ready to help if i can and give back on the help i have had from here.
  • Hello jinty72
    I'm 13 weeks post op Charite ADR L3/L4, L4/L5, ALIF L5/S1 done on 22nd April in London. If I can answer any questions you may have I'd be very pleased to try and help. PM me if you want to.
    Brian McCarthy
  • Hi Jinty,

I'm in London. What procedure are you having done and what do you want to know? I'm 10 months post Revision ACDF C4/5 and ACDF C5/6 with metalwork. Plus now have another slipped disc at C6/7 and Piriformis Syndrome.

Brian, that's a v Irish name. Are you another from the Emerald Isle that escaped and took up residence in the big smoke like me?? LOL.

• Hello cmcmonagle
    it's an Irish name and I'm sure of Irish decent from Galway but I'm a London born Essex lad.
    Where are you in London?
    You sound like you have been through it a bit. Are you getting your C6/C7 fixed soon? Have you tried deep tissue massage for your piriformis syndrome? If not, might be worth giving it a go.
  • Hey Jinty,

I'm in the UK too, I live in Lancashire. I had surgery 4 years ago but it seems my hardware failed 9 months ago so I'm struggling along in an even worse state than I was in before I even had the surgery.

Jaycee, I didn't realise you were in the UK too!

Hey Claire, where in Yorkshire are you? I'm pleased to hear that you're doing so well after your fusion :)

Brian - how are things going with you?

Ailska - is that a Race for Life photo in your avatar? I managed to run that last July, I did it in 38 minutes and I was so proud :)

C - how you feeling today honey?
  • i was told by a few ppl to fone the hospital which did still waiting on a reply nurse said he would fone me back and ive had nothing really fed up with it all now feel noone gives a crap xx
  • Jinty,

You need to keep hassling the consultants secretary until you get an appointment or an answer to your question. You haven't mentioned what surgery you are having or if you've had any tests carried out previously. If you tell me what exactly you are waiting for then I can help you. Up until Tuesday, I was employed by the NHS but they dismmised me becuase of my sickness but that's another story!

Brian, I'm having intense physio twice a week and have been for awhile now but it's not helping. I cannot stand for 10 mins without the severe lower back and leg pain. I feel at times my leg is going to give way. I'm having epidural injections as well as the nerves burned on Thursday and I think they are going to inject the piriformas as well. It's driving me mad now. If it's not a neck flare up it's a lower back flare up! LOL. My consultants are trying everything to avoid me having a third surgery but my nmbness and tingling is getting worse in my arm and the previous injections didn't work so, it could be a third op for me but fingers crossed it won't come to that. Where abouts in Essex are you? I lived in Chelmsford and Harlow when I was a student nurse 12 years ago. I'm now in Wimbledon.

• spicey, i am in halifax nr leeds/bradford. I am doing really good since surgery, although i do have off days where i just ache all day but 30 days out it is to be expected i think, Although i have made a rod for my own back recovering so well so soon, as when i told hubby i was in a bit of pain he started panicing and asking what i have been doing it, and giving me third degree!!! he has been so good though, does not let me do much around house, he is mr.mum!! in the 2 weeks following my fusion, he looked after me, our 3 kids, did all washing, cooking, cleaning, ironing etc, and managed to decorate kitchen and stairway!!! even when i was good i was never that good!!!! i am sooooo lucky to have him, x x
  • ive had spinal fusion s1-l5 and laminectomy my consultant on holiday and seem to get pushed from pillar to post went to see if my doc would give me pain releif they said im on the strogest they can give me i have numbness in my right breast and underneath im just trying to find out if there is something wrong or if this is normal im in so much pain as all im on is co-codomal alergic to tramadol so had to stop taking them its really getting me down now
  • got a mate in halifax lol no seen her for a while though x
  • He sounds brilliant! You need to make sure you are always upfront about your pain levels though. I've seen is so often when spouses suddenly think you're all cured now and the help stops. :O

Take care and keep up the good recovery !
  • I am an Aussie, so figure that is close enough decendant to the Brits to be from the UK.
    And in my heart Britian is my home.

My best friend is also a RN in Surrey, she is in charge of the ortho ward.

Just figured as I seem to one of a few I'd climb aboard. :D

Blessings Sara
  • I am British, born and bred in Yorkshire, but I moved to Denmark 16 years ago, when I met and married a Dane. I have lived in London for 5 years or so and did my nurse training in Cheshire, worked A&E and theatre and have also worked in Letchworth a while.
    I had a L4-S1 fusion in April `07, and just recently I have found the reason for my continuing pain is Non-fusion and all the screws are wobbling about in there, so I am due for my 2nd fusion in September-ish.

I was wondering if you have been to your GP and asked him about all the pain you have, Is co-codamol the strongest you can tolerate or just the strongest the Doc will give you? You must have had something stronger immediately post-op, which you could tolerate, I had oxynorm and oxycontin, the lowest doses, 10 & 5 mg , and was off them again at about 7-8 weeks post op.

If Doctors do not hear from you , they assume you are fine and coping , so you need to keep contacting them and pestering them, I am afraid ( I invested in a speaker phone, so I could hobble about whilst on hold !)

I do hope you find a solution soon, and I wish you all the best for your recovery.

• Hi Jinty, I'm another Brit, I live on the Bucks/Berks border (west of London).

I had a laminectomy last year at L4-5 and had a re-do plus foramenectomy and discectomy L4-5 and L5-S1. This year I have had artificial discs put in C5-6 and 6-7.

I'm afraid you will have to keep hassling the doctors and their secretaries to get some answers. I found the worst part of all this was the waiting and chasing everyone up but I think they are used to it - don't worry, they wont take it personally.

There is alot of experience on here - ask away, someone will have the answers for you.

• went to doc to tell them im not coping with the pain co-codomal is the strongest they can give me had morphine after op but i had wheels so they had to stop giving me it consultant supposed to be calling me tomorrow not holding my breath though xx
  • lol

I'm from London but I don't live in London I live outside, not too far though, in Guildford. I travel to see my spinal surgeon, he's in London! I had fusion by him in 2006 for scoliosis. He's brill!

Feel free to PM me anyone if you wanna chat about anything,

Lyss xx
  • Jinty,

You need to keep phoning the consultants secretary and insist that she make you a walk in appointment for his next clinic. This means that although his clinic is booked up, you will be added to the list and may have a wait until the other patients are seen. Alternatively, you can see his registrar as you've already been seen by the consultant and he can advise you on the next steps. You have to be persistant otherwise you won't get an appointment.

Also, go to see you gp and see if they can give you some analgesics that will help. There are a lot on the market and I'm sure they can get one that suits you.

I hope you get an appointment v soon but if your pain persists and you're not getting any answers from the hospital then go to an NHS WalkIn Centre or A&E.

You could also email your consultant too. Log onto the trusts website and see if they are listed. It's the christian name.surname@your hospitals abb.nhs.uk

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

• I am UK too.

I had Dynesis S1-L5 and PLIF L5-S1 and revision PLIF L4-S1 this year.

Check this website out - a lot of good info.

Go back to GP and get some stronger meds for goodness sake. I too struggled until a friend of mine really told me off, what good was i doing, hardly able to move? I agree with the others, if you don't hassle you won't be taken seriously and you suffer, not the doctor! Ask for a Pian Clinic referral, not unreasonable. Take care.
  • Hi

I'm in Milton Keynes and am 'trying' to live with DDD and bulging discs. S1/L5/L4. I went to rehab in Coventry last December and since then have been building my work/exercise/life back up.

I'm in the middle of a relapse at the moment and just come back from the GP as Tramadol plus diclophenac isn't working. She doesn't want to change the tramadol as the next step is opiates, but has asked that I try Naproxen alongside for a few weeks. Hopefully it will help and everything will settle down again.

Good luck all
  • Welcome to Spine Health.com Snoopy,
    We are always very pleased to see another Brit on board!
    Sorry to hear you are going through a flare up, and hope that Naproxen helps settle it down for you, we all understand how hideous it is trying to get back to a reasonable quality of life, and hope this is a solution for you and look forward to seeing you post and hope you "ask away" if you have any questions about your condition or even give your insights as to how to cope on the non-surgical route you are taking .
    Take Care, Best Wishes Viking
  • Hi everyone!

I'm waiting for my 4th fusion for spondyloptosis as I have ehlers-danlos syndrome and the last three didn't work. I'm from Essex/Staffs. Em x

• Hi Em,
    I am waiting for my second fusion after the last one turned out to be a non-fusion, so my original problem is still there , an unstable spondylolysthesis, 2 black discs and now I have all the screws lose and boring larger and larger holes in my vertebrae as time goes on and the one screw is so close to the nerve it has my left leg, hip and heel recieving zaps when I least expect .

Sorry you are going through this a 4th time, That sucks! I hope you keep posting and tell us how you are getting on, maybe we will have our ops at the same time and we can compare notes and grumble about it all together.

You will receive lots of support and encouraging words on here and there is always someone who can point you in the right direction if you are searching for some information or are researching a spine problem .

Best Wishes Viking :)
  • Hi,

I'm from Leeds. Had my 6 week post op review yesterday. Also had another op 10 weeks ago but slipped it again (see other post). I had quite a few relatively minor complaints still to quiz the doctor about - but was told everything is fine and not to worry. Here's the list in case its helpful for anyone:-
    - twitches
    - some numbness in foot
    - sore left buttock
    - aching around top of both legs
    - can't comfortably straighten left leg
    - back "catches me out" sometimes when I move
    Overall though I'm starting to turn the corner after a really hellish 10 weeks. Itching to get back to the gym in a few weeks. A few weeks ago I never thought the day would come.

Would love to hear from others.

Good luck, Eric.
  • Hi,

I'm from Leeds. Had my 6 week post op review yesterday. Also had another op 10 weeks ago but slipped it again (see other post). I had quite a few relatively minor complaints still to quiz the doctor about - but was told everything is fine and not to worry. Here's the list in case its helpful for anyone:-
    - twitches
    - some numbness in foot
    - sore left buttock
    - aching around top of both legs
    - can't comfortably straighten left leg
    - back "catches me out" sometimes when I move
    Overall though I'm starting to turn the corner after a really hellish 10 weeks. Itching to get back to the gym in a few weeks. A few weeks ago I never thought the day would come.

Would love to hear from others.

Good luck, Eric.
  • For the support

One week on and I'm getting better slowly.

I had a great glut massage that afternoon from my sports therapist at the gym, and that helped as did the prescribed hot water bottle (hard in this heat) So I'm not sure if the Naproxen/stretches/massage/heat all helped or just one or two, but who cares!

I'm still stiff and sore, but am off to Spain tomorrow night for two weeks. Not looking forward to the flights, but doing aqua exercises in the pool in Spain will be better than at the gym!

Good luck to all
    See you in August
  • Hey Snoopy,

You're right, pool exercises in Spain are gonna be far better than here! I hope you cope with the flights ok and have a great time.

I've not been here for a while but it's great to see so many other UK people here :)
  • Hi all

Bringing this back as there are a few newbies from the UK, and thought this thread might help them

I'm back from my holidays. It was restful but painful. Tried eating out and going for drinks, but all too much for the spine, even though all I did was lounge around the pool during the day. I never managed the shops or the market - but no loss as the Euro exchange rate was rubbish!

I've seen the consultant and he has agreed to operate (poss 2 x ADR and 3 level fusion) so I'll have LOADS of questions once I see him on 9th Sept to finalise things.

Speak soon