Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trying To Get A Second Opinion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey, as someone advised me here, I'm trying to see a new Dr. before allowing my former orthpedic surgeon do another horrible fusison. Dr. xxxx from Vanderbilt Orthpaedic Institute will soon be viewing my medical records and will be letting me know if I'll be a good candidate to have micro-surgery. My former surgeon is giving me 2 mos to think it over before having another fusion. I only have about 1 month to go. Hoping I'll see this other Dr. before this other appt is due. L 4 is fused, L 3 is bulged, worn badly and is leaking giving me a lot of pain.

Anyone else familiar with Dr. xxxx from Vanderbilt? Also, has anyone else here had micro-surgery..if so how did it work?

Modified by: Ron DiLauro , Spine-Health Moderator
on 07/17 to remove reference to a specific doctors name.
This is not permitted on Spine-Health.

• Hi and Welcome to SH. You have definitely found a great place for answers.

I haven't heard of your Dr. but I can tell you definintely look for a 2nd and/or 3rd opinion until you are comfortable. Obviously you sound like you don't want to go back to your old surgeon. I had fusion surgery and the surgeon screwed me up so I'm also waiting for a 2nd opinion.

I wish you good luck and I'm sure others will post soon. Just keep doing what you are doing and that is RESEARCH, definitely do your homework because knowledge is power.

Best wishes, Pebbles
  • I'm sorry me neither never heard of him and as pebbles advise you it's a good idea to have a 2nd and 3rd opinion even fourth till you feel comfortable with any procedure you need to have done.

Best of luck to you and please post and let's know how you're doing.

Lotus :)
  • :) we aren't supposed to give opinions on a specific doctor or facility. Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Jenny, thanks for pointing that one out. I missed it.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's great to obtain another opinion, but depending on your State,type of insurance and any other variables this can be difficult. Trying to have one Dr. comment on another Dr. can be difficult. As it's been mentioned here at this very site, we can only go on what we've been thru ourselves, just opinions.
    The strength of prayer can help you decide,
  • Hi Peebles. Thanks for writing me. And yes I'm reading lots of comments and hearing both some complications following surgeries and some occasional success stories which are always encouraging. Hope you're having a better day. I noticed that you and I take some of the same meds. Also, I like your tags and optismicism!
  • Hi Lotus, I'm defintely not jumping into having the same fusion as before! I'm going into surgery the next time with my eyes open to what will happen and how long my recovery will be; although, I've hurt a lot since Feb. And I know one guy that had a 2 level fusion who is doing as well if not better than I am now. He made a visit to the funeral home when I lost my 91 yr old Mom. He was scheduled to have his surgery not long after this. So I figure he's about 5 months into his recovery.
    Thanks again for writing and it's so nice to meet you!
  • Hi lulusheart,
    Please forgive me. I did not know this. The next time that I may want to mention any Dr's by name I do it in a private message. Thanks again for informing me of this.
    Also, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows of anyone having an microscopic surgery and what their outcome was. Please write me...private if you'd like!
  • Hi. Yeah, I wandering if my insurance will approve of a newer type procedure, although, he is listed as one of the Drs that I can see. I have a nurse who's working with me, called my case manager and she thinks this is what I should also do. It was a hassel this wk getting the forms and getting my medicals records released and then getting them faxed to this other Dr. So frustrating when you have to talk to machine all day instead of real people!