Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgey Was A 100% Success - 2 Week Check-Up

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went for my first Dr visit post-surgery today. And I think I had placed my Dr in shock. When he entered the room, he was jaw dropped because I was bending over picking up a set of keys I had dropped. :)

He looked at my incision and then placed the MRI on the lighted board to go over what was done. I "thought" I just had a regular discectomy, but it turns out the disc was so bad they did a full disc replacement - News to me!!

As the conversation went on, he just seemed shocked at how well I was doing. He kept asking me if I was telling him the truth about pain levels and the like.

He had me do several "range of motion" activities and he just shook his head. He said I am in the 99 percentile for people who have had disc replacement surgery - In other words, I am ahead of 99% of others who have had this surgery. :)

It was decided/guessed that by me living with back pain for over 30 years, that I have probably built up a sort of immunity to back pain and the healing that goes with the surgery. But once the nerve got crushed, even that immunity couldn't handle it, thus the severe pain that forced the surgery.

He wants to use me in some kind of case study. So I guess I am gonna be his guinea pig or something. He said I would be compensated and all further treatments and tests like MRI/CT etc would be paid for. Hey, my back may be a star! :D

As long as I behave, he is releasing me back to work this Monday - 3 weeks to the day after surgery. His only orders were to use common sense:

1. No lifting over 20 pounds
2. When lifting, do not twist
3. Improve my posture when sitting
4. Do some core exercises

I still have the S1-L5 DDD to deal with as well as the arthritis, but I am really feeling good about things.

Lastly - I asked him about riding my motorcycle and he said he could see no problem doing so as long as it was road cruising and I used good judgment - I can do that!!!!!

• Excellent progress Hawk! keep it up. Remember not to overdo things, which is easy to do when you are feeling so good so soon after surgery!

Your story will show others contemplating surgery that the majority of us do, in fact, have successful surgical outcomes.

Thanks for posting and keep posting about your progress :)
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Excellent news Hawk! Bet we all wish we could heal up that fast. Congrats and have fun on your Bike.

Christina :)
  • Great news. I am amazed that your surgeon just did a disc replacement and never told you till now?

That is kinda sneaky,but totally awesome. Is your insurance going to be billed for the disc replacement?

Keep up posted Hawk.

• I love hearing success stories keep up the good work!!!!

• The Dr did tell my wife, but she forgot to tell me :(

I got a few PM's from a few members who said my bragging was not good for the other people who are having a rough time of things.

My whole point was not to brag, but to offer hope to other members. I know I may be the exception, but it is just proof that surgery is not all doom and gloom and that the one thing we can depend on is HOPE.

I was offended by the PM's, and I will not mention names, you know who you are - Shame on you!

I had plans of sticking around here to offer what little advice/support I could, but it seems a few like to run the roost here to suit their own personal agenda.

Everyone take good care of yourselves, trust in your Doctors, your family, and your God. I hope you all heal well and will pry that your anxiety's and fears are replaced by hope and promise.

• Take it from someone who is having their first back surgery next week, I am inspired by what happened to you. It makes me very hopeful for a fairly rapid recovery.....I have to get back to being a mommy asap!!! Good luck, good health, and God bless!!!
  • Goodness, we NEED more success stories around here, we're all trying to figure out what has WORKED for others so maybe it can work for us!! With success like yours, you have earned the right to brag.

I am curious, do you live in Europe? Disc replacement is not common in the US.
  • I am very upset and sadden by what i just read,and to the people who sent him pms shame on you,this site is supossed to be about supporting each other, Hawk you were not bragging,i dont understand why people are doing that and also complaining about peoples threads in the surgury section.He had a good outcome with his surgury,i am happy his surgury went well,but to those people who sent him pms saying he was bragging,shame on you....
  • "that the one thing we can depend on is HOPE."

How so very true. By having hope it helps us to move forward, to look ahead. To believe and have faith. Hope is what gets me through the day.

I am saddened about the reponses you have received thru PM's. Your post was inspiring--it made me want to dance for you! Then I read down further and the sadness crept in. We are here to support each other--and that includes the victories! Please don't let a few spoil the barrel.

take care..
  • Gosh darn it please don't listen to the people who are telling you not to "brag" that is ridiculus.

I really like to hear about succes the most, you give me hope ;)

Your my buddy!

• Quite frankly hearing success stories is so important! It gives us balance to what would otherwise be a very biased place. For me, hearing good news give me hope and inspiration and I'm very disappointed that poor Hawk has been attacked because he has had a successful surgery. It's appalling behaviour.

Hawk, I am delighted to read your story and I hope that you don't allow the actions of the minority to stop you from staying in touch with us.

Take care and keep up the brilliant recovery! Spicey
  • Like everyone else I am:

1. Very happy that you have had such a positive response to your surgery. But do heed Bruce's advice. I too felt great and was release back to work after my surgery. Of course, I just had a hemi-laminectomy. Nothing compared to what you went through! But felt better immediately and thought I could go back to pre-pain activities. WRONG! Gotta take the baby steps. Like your doc said - Common sense. It sure goes a long way.

B. Upset with the negative PMs. Someone must be jealous.

Don't go. In fact, we want an update at least weekly. Especially the case study thing. Wow! MRIs and all paid for? COOO-EL!

• I am very impressed by the progres you made! I hope that you don't allow a few people to take you away from here. If all we ever get to hear is negative outcomes....where will we get our hope and drive from?

Take care and continue on your positive road to recovery!
  • Wow, so a disc replacement!?

So, am I the only one that doesn't know the difference between a disc replacement and a discectomy??

Oh, and I am mentally jumping up and down in excitement for you! I would jump for real if I knew I wouldn't go down in a heap on the landing '-)

LOVE LOVE the success story!
  • Wow!
    I am very happy for you, and it's great to see you feeling so good so soon.

I must confess I am a little in awe of what you say was done to you without your knowledge.
    If I understood correctly, you recieved an artificial disc(a metal prosthesis).
    ...but you did not previously know they were going to do it?

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Great news
    What type was it?
    Did they go through your stomach?
  • Hawk, like everyone I think this is great news. :)
    I can understand why they did this, sometimes the Drs cant see how bad things are till they cut you open and then they have to do whatever is necessary to fix it. So yes this does happen.MAybe the Dr even told you (I lost 2 whole days after my surgery)

I wonder if you would have done things differently if you had known you had had more major surgery? I do think that sometimes the less we know the better.
    I had a hip replacement at 15 yrs old and didn't realise it was a big deal till 20 years later! Suddenly I stopped doing things I had had no problems doing before but the fear had crept in. LOL

Either way, congratulations and I do think you are a wonderful example and a ray of hope for a lot of others here. So please stick by and continue to share your experiences with us.
    Blessings Sara
  • Take it easy and keep us updated with your progress!

• I'm inspired by your progress. I'm one of those sitting on the fence for surgery now or later. It gives me hope that I could return to the job that has been my life for the last 33 yrs.

Don't let the pesimists send you packing.
  • I agree! I am also having my first back surgery next week and hearing positive success stories is calming my nerves. I am new to the boards and have found everyone very helpful and I'm disappointed to hear you got PMs from people who were offended. Good stories encourage people to have a positive approach to upcoming sugery and bad staries help those who are suggering and need support from others who understand. Who could ask for more?
  • Your story is a blessing to all of us! You've given hope to a lot of people. We must remember that this message board is for sharng all types of stories, good and bad. There is something to be learned from every post. Continued good luck to you!
  • It is nice to see such a positive outcome to surgery. Don't let a few members run you off. This site needs good stories with positive outcomes. True that you are only 2 weeks out and only time will tell how you do in the future, but to be going back to work already is amazing, and it gives hope to many here. Keep up the good healing. And like Bruce said, don't forget to be careful for a while. Now, go enjoy that bike ride, just avoid the potholes!

By the way, if you still have the PMs, you could report them to the mod squad. If the PMs were harrassing at all, that would be a violation of spine-health rules.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thank you all.

I thought I had thicker skin, but when it comes to health issues, perhaps I take things a lot more personal.

There is no need to "out" the few cry baby PM's I received. After reading these posts and some all of the wonderful PM's, I now feel very sorry for the select few that feel as if they have ownership of this forum.

This forum is about something we all fear - *back/neck surgery*. We come here to educate and be educated, to offer support and receive support, to calm our fears or help calm others.

Perhaps some members here forgot what this forum is about. This isn't a personal playground to play in and think your long term membership gives you status above someone who just joined.

I would hope notice is taken by SOME of the long term members here and that they readjust their reasons for being here.

It's simple really, just remember why YOU came here. Remember how scared and intimidated you were when you heard the word *SURGERY*. You looked for answers and comfort and hope. If you have lost sight of that, perhaps it is time you find another playground.

Also - I went back to work today and did really well. :)
  • good to see your back at work,and it went well for you....
  • How dare you post a successful surgey and give everyone hope! Shame on you! PFFFFTTT.

Dont listen to those who think you are bragging. We need more success stories and stories that give us hope. Thank you for posting. I remember when you joined and were scared and asking tons of questions. Now you are here and confident and giving advice and hope to those who need it. Good for you!

• We need more success's shared.

Hawk- have fun with your new disc. I am soooo jelous. That is what I really wanted but sadly I had way too many things going on. I am glad to hear you are back at work.

• Hello Hawk,

I am sorry i missed your posting or I would have responded earlier. First of all, so glad your surgery went well and you sticked around to tell us about it. When I fist logged on this site (the old SH) at the beginning I was really scared thinking that back surgery must be punishment for life. Than when I saw some positive stories I became encouraged and figured out that the reason we don't hear too much about success stories is because those people who benefit from spine surgery with minimal suffering move on with their lives and don't bother to post. So before my surgery I decided that 1. I will do everything in my power to make my surgery a success, 2. I will let this forum know about it to give encouragement for people who are dreading spinal surgery.

Well, to make a long story short, my surgery was a success as far as no post-op pain and no complications. The final success will be of course, when the OS will tell me that I fused. It is less than three months yet, so I am not worried. But I have to tell you, when I posted how well my surgery went, I tried to be very careful as I did not want anybody to take it the wrong way. Fortunately, I did not get any negative PMs, and honestly, I can't figure out why you did, as I don't think you boasted at all. So please, don't take it personally, this site needs people like you to give new members hope for a positive outcome.

Glad you are still with us.

• Hi Hawk,

It's great to hear that work went ok today. Just make sure that you rest up when you get home for the first couple of weeks because your body may well rebel on you at the sudden increase in activity.

Take care and I'm so pleased you're still here... :)
  • Thanks again :)

This forum needs some positive vibes. As mentioned, I think most people who had success with their surgery just move on and don't post.