Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF or Rhizotomy ?

i have had compression at c5 and c7 for about 5 years due to arthritis. i am 62 years old and in great health
and i exercise, lift weights, bike, and hike daily. i am 5' 10" and weigh 175 lbs. i live in southern arizona
and i have recently been under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in spinal operations.
i am confident that he is a qualified surgeon.
over the last five years , i have received three epidural cortisone injections with little success from the
injections. typically the painful burning and stinging resolves itself after 8 to 12 weeks from onset. without any relief attributed to cortisone shots or NSAIDs.
i have been diagnosed as having cervical spinal stenosis confirmed by 2 MRIs in 2010 and 2015 and by 2 different spine doctors.
my condition is such that i am not debilitated but rather experience a great deal of soreness and burning
in my back and left arm along the ulnar nerve.
i have watched the video on this site regarding the ACDF surgery and i have read subject correspondence in the forums.
i am somewhat alarmed at what a great ordeal recovery can be and i have never known of anyone personally
who had spinal surgery with fusion without compromising their future health and well being and mobility.
my surgeon claims that his ACDF surgeries are 92 % effective. Although i do not know what is the measuring stick for effectiveness in this procedure? I recently read an article
stating that research into claims of 95% success for ACDF surgery were inflated and the reality was a 70% success
with 10% requiring a second operation to correct deficiencies from the the first ACDF.

if you notice i am typing now with my right hand only because typing with the left hand causes pain and burning.
i have stopped doing all physical activities which render pain with the exception of walking 4 miles daily and an occasional yoga class.

at my most recent epidural procedure, the pain doctor mentioned that he could perform a Rhizotomy on my nerves
left arm and that might last for a considerable period of time before the condition returns. ironically, i saw a friend friday night
who swore by Rhizotomies that she had performed (5 in number ) over that last ten years at the same Medical Practice and she has experienced much pain relief.
she is 67 years old and has several herniated discs among other back issues, yet Rhizotomies have made her life bearable
and she is in no way disabled.
Does anyone on these forums have any experience that you could share with me?
I consider an ACDF level one to be extremely AGGRESSIVE in my situation and I also live
by myself in a town where my nearest friend is 50 miles away. I know that I would not be able to take care
of myself should the recovery period prove to be long and difficult.

Thanks for your attention,