Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 point plan for chronic pain

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
12 point plan for chronic pain

Although I do support the notion of having a plan and even b and c, chronic pain does not conform to the norms of improvement, and as we all know it is generally one step forward, and many back on some occasions.

The attack approach of my newbie days have been subsumed by a more calm overall strategy and we all need to work out what works for us rather than the collective. We presume that if we cannot achieve the projected status we are in some form not working hard enough and that is incorrect.

Most chronic pain patients over perform, which is evidence of what we can do, the condition itself drives us to excel at our maximum capacity and we are all capable of subtle changes to target more effectively selected goals rather than the everything now strategy I once had. However hard we try we will never be the manifestation of our previous self, age itself limits our feasible capacity as our heads define an unachievable historic capability. Reality makes us laugh at trying and it is in the belief that we could achieve where the nuances of improvement are most valid. The exercise thread here is testament to what can be achieved from a graduated start, and looking back our current performance may have seemed unachievable at the start and here we all are moving forward, we should acknowledge the progress we have made even while in pain, the benefits of activity never dull the pain itself, and still we continue unabated.

1. Get a good diagnosis
2. Use your anger in a positive way
3. Ask for help in you need it.
4. Pace well and monitor what works for you
5. Encourage and support positive behaviour
6. Be kind to yourself and others

My residential PM never reduced my pain and they never said it would, it has helped me cope more effectively and set more realistic and attainable goals, I have had to accept an array of limitations and live an alternative imposed lifestyle. I do not have the full version and this should be an individual plan that works for you, as time goes by our overall list will change and the notion of a finite list is more of an expectation than reality.

What’s in your plan and what have you learned from it.

Take care John

• :) i think you covered alot of good points but i have to add acceptance. chasing an elusive "cure" once all avenues have been broached is not only tiring but makes our lives unthinkable. there has to come a time when whether by an unsuccessful surgery or an inoperable condition that our pain becomes the norm and "pain free" is no longer a reality. acceptance is key to making a life worth living and leaving a bit of hope in the course of things. Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.