Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Important question/need advice

Hi all. So, I've finally had my surgery scheduled to fix my disc issue at the L5/S1 level again. This is a re-operative surgery. You can see I have multiple disc issues but this is the most pressing one to fix.
Here's the problem. I feel better. My foot it still numb, I still have spasms, and I still have some pain and a lot of weakness. But I feel quite a bit better than I did. Now I've had this problem for 3 years now and this has happened before where I feel better for a bit and then I'm all jacked up again a few weeks later. Almost like it lays off the nerve for a short while and then presses right back onto it after a week of feeling decent-not great, but manageable.
If you were in my shoes, would you go through with the operation even though you feel better? Or am I going to put myself through a surgery that I may not need? No one wants surgery. But I also don't want to go back to being crippled. I've spent the better part of 3 years in awful pain and just what it gone for good. Part of me is just saying 'get it done' just so I have the peace of mind that it's fixed.
My concern is that I put it off and then I'm 3 weeks I'm crippled again, and it takes months to get it scheduled again so I go back to work and then am back out in a few weeks. The surgery is in 8 days and it's taken 3 months to get it scheduled. I'm worried that I may not actually need it but I'm also REALLY worried that this feeling good is just a short term thing. I'm confused and could use any advice I can get.

Herniations T3/T4, T4/T/5, T5/T6, T6/T7
L2/L3, L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
Surgery to correct in 2005, reinjured 2012
Zero stability or movement in base of spine. Impingement on both sides of spine, with varying pain/numbness on both sides.

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    Only you can really answer that one. You just have to go with what you know at the time you go through it. It is a gamble, there are no guarantees. There's pros and cons that only you can ultimately weigh, the ones I would weigh on if I had to: if I go ahead with surgery will I wind up in worse shape, or if I wait too long will doing so cause permenate nerve damage....it's not an easy decision to make, we can't foresee the future....we can only envision it, and sometimes our choices of getting to where we want to be can be limited in a physical sense. When life unfolds in a way contrary to our expected hopes, we have to learn to adapt, find new ways of living a quality life, to still pursue the best we can be...to never give up.