Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management

I have my first appointment with a new pain management doctor this Friday, can anyone share with me what to expect/questions to ask/things to do/not do? I've had 2 surgeries to my neck in the past and had an amazing PM dr. in the past but we recently moved, my PCP has been prescribing my pain meds but we both agree along with my surgeon that I should try something more. I'm concerned because I got a bunch of paperwork to fill out prior to my consult with this new dr., including a contract that requires me to only work with him and come in for random drug tests and pill counts. I've never had to do this before with any of my doctors and it seems weird to me since I haven't even met him yet.

~Hope and healing to all :)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • BManBBMan Posts: 113
    edited 11/05/2015 - 4:17 AM
    I suspect that finding a great pain management clinic (and experience) is like spotting a diamond in the rough. It took me over a month to get my first pain management clinic appointment. All the pain management doctors in my area are booked full. The first one I was scheduled for would not prescribe pills. He would only give injections. That wasn't what I needed, so I had to schedule an appointment with a different doctor. That meant more time waiting.

For my first appointment, I really just wanted to chat with the doctor about medicine combinations, options, and doses. I didn't know I needed to be ready for a urinalysis. Regardless, they called me back to their tiny lab area after a long wait in the waiting room, and I had to give them whatever I could so they could run a baseline test, I guess. They were busy and the lab tech gave me a cup with someone else's name on it. I didn't notice until I handed the cup over. I'm not sure the mess would have been straightened out if I hadn't said something.

All told, my first experience was quite lousy, and it makes me sad to think the whole pain management "game" is built on settling for crowded waiting rooms, embarrassing situations with little privacy, and over-worked office staff, doctors, and lab techs who are a bit numb to the whole experience.
  • part of the pain management process these days. Make sure you read and understand it before signing it. If you have questions regarding it, make sure that you get clarification .
    Urine testing and pill counts are part and parcel of compliance testing to ensure you are taking any medications exactly as prescribed.
    You most likely will not be given opiate based medications on your first visit, but will go over your medical history, previous treatment, films and reports and discuss treatment options.