Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Broken Pedicle Screw

Hello Everyone,

This is my first posting on this site. Two weeks I would not have believed that I was the one saying this but here goes...

In August, I had my knee replaced and two weeks later, I could not move the opposite leg because of excruciating pain in my hip. When the orthopedic doctor that I saw for the hip pain, x-rayed my back, she found a broken pedicle screw from my L4-L5 and L5-S1 fusion surgery. It is her theory that the screw was pressing on a nerve causing the hip pain.

I was in shock when she told me about the screw. Then today I found out that I have to have a Myelogram next Monday. I can barely process one thing then they hit me with something else. I have horrible migraines and the Myelogram scares me to death. Can I ask for a blood patch for the injection before I get off the CT table???

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 489
    Hi Tiny Dancer!

Sorry to hear of your pain, and your X-ray report.... I can only imagine. Since the hip pain didn't start till after your knee replacement, was it a result of how your body was maneuvered during the surgery? Scary! I can see how that may happen, but you'd think precautions would have been made to prevent that.

Many years ago, in my late thirties, I had to have a laparoscopy, and the back pain following was excruciating. I had had some previous lower back pain months prior, possibly inflamation from throwing hay bales at that time. I wasn't in bad back sorts at the time of having the surgery, but I also wasn't informed of how my back may be compromised during the procedure.

About the myelogram, if it's possible I would surely ask for the blood patch. I also get migraines, but mostly because I had a myelogram before, and ended up having to have a blood patch almost a week later....not a fun time!

I've been thinking of having a medical bracelet made with my fusion info on it. I'm also hypoglycemic , so I probably should.

Hope all goes well for you!
  • Sheri,

Your right ,I think. During the surgery one leg was up and one leg was down. Then the screw started working toward the nerve because of it. I was in that position for 4 hours. They probably didn't even notice the scars on my back to try and protect it.

I think that I will poll members to see how many got headaches after a Myelogram. The nurse today tried to tell me that it's rare but I don't think so.