Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ATTN!! need help for decisions about neck or shoulder?

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all , i finally seen my NS. I have herniated disc c5/c6 . spinalosis, and spurs , etc. He has ordered 4 weeks of PT. , he said if it did not help, and i am still in pain, i just have to call him up, and will schedule the surgery right away. he seems to be a very caring dr. It is common to try PT first right? i know they want to try conservative treatment first.
Well i have a bigger dilema, i also have a torn rotary cuff, which is causing me pain . not only have i got the pain radiating from my neck into my shoulder. i have the pain from rotary cuff in my shoulder. My NS since if have appt. with my ortho next wk. i can have the shoulder surgery done. BUT i would have to put off my PT. He asked me if i could get one done or the other, which one bothers me more! such a hard decision. but my neck is bothering me more, because i have radiculpathy, and dealing with so much more that is radiating from neck alone. I went ahead , and starting PT on Mon. morn. scheduled. i am looking at surgery with ortho already he has talked to me about rotary cuff repair, he has said my neck needs to be taken care of first. I feel like a ping pong ball, getting bounced back and forth. One dr. is saying you can have this done first, and other dr. is sending me back to the other for surgery. trying to make decisions for which one wants me first for surgery. what a mess. has anyone ever went thru anything like this?? ... I am really under alot of stress! I need to know more about PT, my NS says maybe i will be one of the LUCKY ones, and i will help me. i am so uncertain of everything. First of all the word LUCKY is not in my vocabulary. can someone please help with decisions, and too much to think about. can any of you give me some of your experiences like this? :sick: :?

• Get your neck fixed first. This is a more important surgery than your rotor cuff.

Christina :)
  • I vote for neck first, because of the threat of nerve damage. And good luck with PT, I did about six weeks, to no avail - and whoever invented cervical traction, I'd like to have a word with them. Would be better used as torture device. But that is my limited experience, everyone, you know, is different, etc. Good luck!!
  • I thank you for the advice. Can i ask what will be accomplished in PT for a disc, that is already herniated?
    I could see if it was bulging, but when it is already herniated, it is pressing against my spine, so to me i am scared that it will hurt me even more. my husband says i am just going to have to trust my dr. to know what he is doing. to me it just prolonging the agony of everything going on. i hear from so many of you who have had PT, end up having surgury anyway. if i have PT , am i going to be able to go back to work at the end, and continue to be able to lift 50 or 60 lbs. , pull big pallets of freight, stock the shelves above my head, climb, push, my job is very strenuious, to say the least. i think it is partly what got me into the position i'm into today. i am worried that i will ever be able to go back to same job, i have not discussed this with anyone. is the herniation still going to be there at the end of 4 wks.? i don't think it is going anywhere, can anyone help me understand?
  • can i ask how long did you have to wait for your hand and arm surgery?? did you have to wait until neck is completely healed? or...is it something they did right away. i believe when i go to my appt. wed. with OS, to see what he says. in the mean time i will start my PT on MON> supposed to have it 3 times a wk.

Cervical spondylosis w/O myelopathy , what does the
    W/O stand for? cervicalgia, rupture c5/c6, pain joint shoulder region. thank you for the responses everyone. , i knew you all could help.

LEOCAT (formerly skippy)
  • I can't give you any advice, just send you some good luck vibes (hopefully the vibes get to you even if luck is not in your vocabulary)

Just my two cents - which may not mean much: When my shoulder and ankle hurt i was asked, which one do I want surgery on first (can't do both, crutches vs. arm sling). I opted for shoulder first, it hurt more.

It ended up that my shoulder was the least hurt, even though the pain was more intense there. My ankle was broken, cartilege (sp?) and all, and I not only walked but did strenuous ankle PT for 4 months on it. Now it is many surgeries later and I have to have it fused in the future.

Of course, my luck, I've done it all backwards, apparently my back was the most injured part and I've ended up doing it last.
  • Had rotary cuff surgery Jan.09. Found out I now have a spur on the same shoulder. Should I opp to have this taken care of or just let it ride. I have been in P.T. for about 8-9 weeks. Still have pain, still can't use my arm properly this is a W.C. injury. If some one can give me some advice, please give it.