Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Running After Op

jemmacottonjjemmacotton Posts: 1
edited 11/05/2015 - 9:45 AM in Scoliosis
Hey everyone,
About 4 months ago, I had most of my spine fused. I am having a meeting with my surgeon at 6 months to discuss being allowed to participate in sports and exercise again. I do low impact exercises at home, but I can't wait to start running again. I wanted to know what it was like for other people to run for the first couple times. I still feel the pressure of the rods when I'm walking or lying down and I can't imagine being able to run without everything feeling like its shaking!! What was it like for you?

We have many runners out here. But to get the only right answer for you , you need to discuss this with your surgeon. Every individual is different and every situation is different. So, while one person may be able to run after 11 weeks, another it might take 20 weeks.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 11/05/15

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• RhondaJRRhondaJ Posts: 7
    edited 11/12/2015 - 7:11 AM
    Hi! Have to chime in on this one, I am a fitness trainer in the field more than 25 years with Spinal Fusion! I'm assuming the fusion was from scoliosis, since this is the forum on that!? Now...your doctor most likely will tell you....go, do everything you did before, have a blast! BUT.....I will tell you.....you only have one back, and it has to last forever, and you have to be smart about the things you do!! After my 2nd spinal fusion surgery, I was fused a couple more vertebrae up, and two further down. Before that I had been training and working out a lot, and also went through a pregnancy, so I was having lots of aching muscle pain. Then after my surgery, I immediately went back to training my clients, and even opening up my own personal training studio about 6 months post-surgery! I was anxious to say the least to have my life back! I ran my first 5k about 9 months later...it felt like running with a cast on!! I now look back and say it must of been the pain killers making me crazy to do that!! So my short answer is Yes...you will be able to run and do things that your body allows you to do right away ( I was even doing triatlons a few short years later and training boot camps!).....
    NOW, for my professional and experienced answer, referring to the mentioned above that you only have one back, ...... you just had a major surgery!! Your back cannot move, and stretch, and take shock in the way other backs can do now with a rod! Running puts lots of shock on the vertebrae, and the ones that are going to take the brunt are the ones under and above the fusion! (I would like to know where your fusion extends to!?) And depending on how old you are can be a factor too, meaning the younger the more pliable your body is, and responds easier to impact! You have to treat your back kindly and thing of the long term. I'm I saying not to run, no, but would I recommend doing other things that aren't quit so repetitively pounding. And yes...I know nothing compares to running, I still miss it terribly...but after all the impact I put on my spine the first few years, I have more back pain then ever, and those disc are severely compromised and will need further surgery. :( Going back, I would have done more low impact exercises, more stretching, and more massage. If you want to run, do it in moderation (which really is what I tell my clients with healthy spines!) Cross training is always the way to go! I rollerbladed a lot as well, next to my runners and found it was really a fun way to get that burn! Good luck to you...and just remember, be smart, and don't over do it even though you will want to! :) It will matter when you are in your 40's, 50's, and on, even though they mean seem forever away!! lol Feel free to email me for more info or advice! Rhonda