Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When Is It Ok To Start Exercise Again?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know everyone is already thinking well you need to ask your Dr that.I have an im waiting for his return call.But i was wondering usually when do people get back at it?When did you start exercise again or physical therapy?Ive had an emergency micro desectomy its been about three weeks an im going stir crazy not doing anything lol Is it ok to exercise even maybe just light walking if its not to painful for the individual??

• Hello,

Have you started therapy yet? you should have by now. I did a 2 level lumbar fusion, I started therapy 3 days after surgery. you should start walkin and stretching.

• But I've seen a lot of people on here saying at least 6 weeks. It will be 6 weeks for me on Monday and I plan to start my pre-surgical PT workout... slowly and from the beginning... then gradually ramping up. Walking is ok,... I started walking 2 days out of the hospital. Just as far as my body would let me... and being careful not to go so far I couldn't make it back home! :jawdrop:

Bottom line,... wait for Dr's answer and do not push it. This is a delicate period... let your body heal. Boredom is better than re-injuring things!

Good luck! :)
  • I was made to attempt walking the day after surgery it didnt go so well but i had to get up everyday i was in the hospital.Which i know was for my own good.But my surgeon told me on my one week post op visit that physical therapy so soon would only hurt me an not be any benefit which im coming to find is different for every surgeon.But i really trust mine so im listening to him but i cant remeber how long he said it would be till he wanted me to start physical therapy so im waiting for his call.I dont even know what physical therapy would do for me because i can walk an stand up straight now an im still flexable im not tight or stiff i just want to exercise lol.Im not a person that can sit around i need to go an move lol Although if i stand to long it starts to really hurt an my legs go even more numb then they already are.This is just so damn frustrating how did you all deal with it.Any advice?Thanks for your replies!
  • truly is different. I was back to work in 3 weeks, but all I do is sit behind a desk. Sitting at home wasn't much different so I thought at least this way I got paid! But I still didn't try to bend or twist until the Dr. said it was ok. At 4 weeks he called me cured and said I could go back to normal activities, but I'm still waiting until the 6 week mark to start exercising.

As far as the boredom,... there's not much to do. Read lots of books, watch movies... take lots of naps... quietly go insane. LOL I'M KIDDING! :D
  • I am 2.5 weeks post my discectomy. I was super active before. My doctor said walk as tolerated. I have been walking a mile or 2 each day depending on how I feel. I want to bike, aerobic, stretch, tone - the works. But my doctor does not recommend activity other than walking. He does not even order PT. He says it often leads to re-injury. So I am being really careful. I have read a number of books and have taken up knitting. I figure if I heal well without complications I can exercise twice as much later! lol
  • I did a little walking in hospital, but when I got to Rehab - different story. Mostly strength training, but also walking. I had to walk 4 times around the "gym" area before they would let me go home. That was 4 times using my walker. I had some complications - not surgery related - so they kept me with a walker. Seems my pulse rate and platelates went wacky. Scared them more than me since I didn't know that was why I was more wobbly than normal.
    My home PT has me doing core exercises and today we went walking. He comes at 8 so we can walk before it gets too hot to move outside. I don't do well outside when it is 99.
  • The answer is different for everyone.

My advice to you is to excercise when it feels right. You and your body will know when.

I was back to the gym 2 weeks after my fusion, but only because it felt right.

Never go against your gut intuition and don't push your self too hard.

The best excercises that I found were swimming, the eliptical and light free weights.

Good Luck :)

• i had a cervical fusion three level and my surgeon waited until i was two months out to start therapy until then all i was allowed to do was walk.
  • My surgery wants me to wait til I'm three months post-op before starting any type of PT therapy. Give the muscles and the bone grafts a little time to heal before you start working them to prevent getting them damaged again. I agree that you should call the office and leave a messege with the girls at the desk.

Take Care,

Christina :)
  • I had a three level fusion, and was not allowed to start PT until I was MOSTLY fused, that was at 20 weeks. I was only allowed to walk, walk, walk..... But not until my NS saw the fusion taking process, did he release me....
  • that's what I did too, for many many weeks. could not start PT until my brace was off (11 weeks out) but I was walking the day after surgery, and then for exercise after about 3 weeks. if the weather had been nicer, I might have started sooner ...
  • Pink, Im with you but just walk,walk,walk for now while your body heals.Your muscles need to heal as well as the ligament that was cut.
    Any strain could only prolong your healing.
    Scar tissue will form eventually and cover the hole in your disc, but it wont prevent a reherniation.
    Be patient and dont do anything crazy.
    After 4 weeks I was allowed to go in the pool..
    Try swimming to keep ya busy..