Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does a successful fusion of allograft ever disappear years later>

I am seeking an answer to this it is a really weird question but is very important. In December 2012, I had what I thought was an ACDF with a lordotic cortico-cancellous block implant at C5/C6. I followed up with the surgeon for several months and was told each time that the fusion had healed nicely; he verified this in letters to my employer and long term disability carrier.

I continued to have problems and based on the advice of an SSDI judge, was evaluated for Klippel-Feil syndrome, and it took some time to find a doctor with significant experience in adult KFS. I saw him last month and he took X-rays, which I saw. He said that there is no evidence of a graft ever being implanted, and is following it up with an MRI with GAD and MARS just to make sure.

I met with a malpractice attorney today and he has not turned me down or accepted the case. He is having a hard time accepting that the doctor would not have ever inserted the graft. However, it was about 1/4' by 9/16" so I think I would have noticed it migrating from somewhere in my neck a year or so later. Also the X-ray just showed a plate and big holes, no cracked or crumbling graft. It's like aliens visited me in the night and removed it.

Has this ever happened to anyone you are familar with? I know that the Klippel-Feil makes my neck less stable, but that is why it is more important to me to make sure that there is a graft. I think of it like a shim in woodworking to stabilize structures, if not there things will get all wobbly. The Klippel-Feil symptoms of fused vertebra were listed on the pre-surgical mri but was not diagnosed. I see the same practice for pain management and they refused consistently to address the issue of kfs, so I went to another doctor.

• edited 12/09/2015 - 7:52 PM
    Mine did after about a year maybe less. I'm needing surgery soon. I have no allograft from my occiput to my C1-C2. Nothing but pain. No answers to have why. I've got no attorney, just wanna get better. It's made my basilar invagination worse. My brainstem compressed on the ventral side. My surgery coming up is going to be difficult. I've gotta have a bone marrow to help fuse the bones. I have no clue if it was ever put in, except I did receive a donor card to thank the family. Good luck!
    Trina Gipson
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History