Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fused L2-S1 still have alot of pain and muscle knots PLEASE ANY HELP

I'm sure that there are many of us who have had more than one back surgery. I had my 1st in 2010 fused L3-S1, rods, screws the whole thing. I was miserable for a year. Finally got rid of the walker ( I loved that walker) and started PT. Things went along and still alot of pain afterwards. I was told give it time which I did. Then 2 years later I took a tumble down a hill at a local park and herniated L2. Terrible pain in my back. Off to surgery again. Removed the rods and etc placed before and now fused L2-S1. The second surgery went off alot better than the first. But I'm told by my Ortho doc that I have pain because I have a "crappy back" . I will always have some pain no matter what because of my "crappy back". I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis and a slew of bone spurs and general "crappy back" . I just take the days as they come. Some days I can't even stand to make dinner without my back seizing up and spasms like no other. My left hip and lower back is always in pain. I weaned myself off the Norco and use Neurontin 300 mg one a day and Ibuprofen and Aleve but I cannot keep up with this constant pain. I don;t know if I should go back to PT and see if that might help. This left hip pain and left low back pain is excruciating at times. I gave my husband the Norco so he can give me a pill if i NEEDED IT. I thought that would work but it makes me feel like an addict when I ask for a pill and have to play 20 questions as to why I need it, I have Lidoderm 5% patches which help some. Does anyone know is there a higher amount? I read a post on one of the forums about a guy who always felt a knot in his back after surgery and it hurt like the devil. I have that at the top of my left iliac crest. I think where they took the bone out for the fusion at the time of my second surgery. I don't have any pain on the right where they initially took it at my first surgery. What is up with these painful knots? I've blasted the area with my TENS unit and NADA. My Pt guy was amazed at how tight this knot is and he really had to work at it to see if he could get better but nope..... it's great when I leave PT and then after 2 days the knot and pain returns. I tell you, having a "crappy back" is sapping all the joy out of life for me. At least when I took the Norco I could clean the house. Now, im lucky if I last 1/2 hour vacuuming and cleaning without sitting down several times. With all this wealth of medical knowledge why can't they figure out what is wrong? is that too much to ask?

• I hade pain for years on my iliac crest after they harvested bone for my first fusion. Now after 2 more fusions (no hardware) and a procedure called a kyphoplasty (I fell 8wks after my last fusion and broke my back). Seriously? YES! Now I got the MRI report back and I have a herniation at L2-S1. Seriously? Yep, Im about ready to freak out.  It takes a LONG time to come back to normal after repeated spinal assaults. I too have a "crappy back". If life doesnt kill us, our backs will. Feel good, if thats possible.
  • have you heard of scenar treatment, its a massage type device which makes electrical stimuli like a tens unit but more powerful. I don't know if you can get that treatment where you live but a woman in England does it and it helps with pain in all areas. all the best x