Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Methadone used for Chronic Pain

My doctor recently prescribed Methadone for my chronic pain issued which is traditionally used for cancer patients along with another drug called Bacolfen which is a muscle relaxer that has many side effects that I am experiencing but does put my twitching and spasms under control so I can take the good with the bad.

Is anyone else having weight gain issues from some of these medication mixes? I have not changed anything in my diet and even cut down to very small meals daily and I am still slowly gaining weight and it's upsetting to me, just curious if its this set of medication or the medication for other symptoms of depression and anxiety which go hand in hand with my pain because that aspect is getting worse.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone down this new road with Methadone, I love the way the pharmacy looks at you like a drug addict but should respect that I didn't choose this my doctor did and it's working as expected, have Norcco for my pain spikes that I hope get better after my surgery next week.

Thank you in advance for your experiences.

• pilot9099ppilot9099 Posts: 4
    edited 11/06/2015 - 3:12 PM
    As for your question about weight gain, methadone DOES make you gain weight. I've been on it for 8 or 9 years , 60mgs. a day. But it does relieve my nerve and muscular pain from my pinched nerves and torn muscles. I have tried fentanyl, percoset and others, but methadone is a long lasting pain reliever, and is also cheap for patients having no insurance..... but the weight gain, I figured was a fair trade for good pain relief. My experience anyway, my doc told me I'd gain weight.
    Steven A. Collins
  • I didn't gain weight when my methadone dosage was 60mg a day - my gains started after I was switched to morphine sulfate at 30mg - was nauseous all the time and tended to nibble constantly. The morphine also gave me headaches and disturbed my sleep. I was physically exhausted. Just got back on methadone (different pain doctor) but only 10 mg a day. I think my weight gain comes from a huge decrease in my physical activity. This dose fails to give me much pain relief so am spending hours every day laying down - eating very little doesn't help -
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 11/10/2015 - 12:57 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History