Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD plus herniated disc

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I have had DDD for awhile, but recently I developed a herniated disc.

I will be seeing a surgeon that specializes in disectomies.

However, one of things I need to sort out is pain from herniated disc vs. discogenic pain. I know that a disectomy can't do much for discogenic pain.

The decision the perform surgery would need to be made based on pain from the herniation and I'm trying to figure out whether the herniation is bothering me or if it is discogenic pain.

My MRI shows herniated disc 3mm into the left lateral recess. The herniation is 1 cm wide.

Symptoms: I have pain that switches from side to side. The sciatica is mostly in my thighs. It does not shoot down my leg into my feet.

I do have weakness in my leg, but I don't notice the weakness until I exercise. (By exercise, I mean lumbar stabilization. For instance, if I try to strengthen the calf I can't tolerate as many reps as I should. Same with my feet. Exercise that requires balance is also very challenging)

I do have diffuse symptoms in my feet, such as weak toes, my outer toes dangle outward.

Also, for the past 18 months I have had burning red feet. (This is my worst symptom and the doctors will need to determine if this is from radiculopathy)

What aggravates my symptoms: Sitting. It kills me. Also, standing and reaching. I also get muscle spasms easily while exercising.

My EMG's are abnormal. But, they have been abnormal when I only had bulging discs.

My detailed history is below.

Can anyone give me pointers on discogenic pain vs. herniated disc pain?

Thank You Very Much.

• Linda, you have a lot going on.

I wish I could help. Have you been tested for spondylolisthsis? Some of your symptoms sound like mine. The only time my feet get bad is when I eat chinese food and the salt causes me to bloat- my feet are the worst.

Good luck,

• My orginal MRI postings were based on what my GP told me over the phone.

Today, I got my films and I got my hand on the report.

It turns out, I also have stenosis. The burning feet is probably some type of claudification...

Boo Hoo........

I thought I had one herniated disc and now this.....

The updated MRI results are in my signiature.

I'm so sad....

Julie: From your signature it appears that spondololythesis needs to be diagnosed via xray?

I wish you luck with your surgery. I don't know if I'm a candidate for fusion,... at least yet.