Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know who to trust? Neurosurgeon, Psyhiatrist, GP

edited 11/09/2015 - 8:07 PM in Chronic Pain
Here's my situation: constant & severe pain in lower back, butt, hip, tailbone (mostly on right side) legs ache, toes tingle & both feet numb & hurt with sciatica on right side- can't walk without assistance (cane or hubby) and can't stand more than 10 min. or so. Immobile. Had pain since early May. Female age 45. Tried physical therapy, 2 epidurals, steroid pack, muscle relaxers, Norco, Percocet.

MRI shows: L4-L5 broad based disc bulge with osteophyte & foraminal disk protrusion, minimal narrowing of spinal canal, mild right foraminal narrowing Disc degeneration. L5-S1 mild right & minimal left foraminal stenosis due to broad based disk bulge with osteophyte and hypertrophy of the facet joints.

CT scan w/fluid shows: L4-L5 Grade 4 - contrast leakage along the outer third of the annulus - 45 degrees right posterior & lateral aspect, L5-S1 Grade 4 - contrast leakage along the third of the annulus - 75 degrees along the posterior right lateral aspect. Mild posterior bulging in conjunction with degenerative changes. Foraminal stenosis. Mild degenerative endplate changes along the right aspect of L5-S1 and mild L5-S1 height loss.

Neurosurgeon wants to do fusion of L5-S1 claiming I have bone on bone. He doesn't believe discectomy will solve butt & back pain. My Physiatrist & General Practitioner don't believe surgery will help at all and that I should try additional shots for pain management. My Physiatrist is also referring me back to a neurologist to have neuropathy pain better evaluated. The first one I saw did not do a thorough evaluation. She's concerned about possible MS or diabetes. It's so hard to know who to trust and are desperate for pain relief. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Brave heart, sorry to hear of your pain. Did the GP and pys explain why they didn't think surgery would help? I've found that different health care professionals give different opinions and it's difficult to make a decision. I think you should try to find another opinion from a surgeon if you have doubts about surgery as it's a big operation and also to be clear on what is definitely causing your pain before you make a decision. I've always tried to find out as much as possible about the implications of each option before deciding. You may also want to ask why they suggest fusion of L5S1 if bulge is L4. My understanding (albeit maybe limited) from my surgeon is that a fusion of L5S1 could put more pressure on L4. I'm sure others who have had a fusion will be better equipped to answer this though. Good luck.
  • Thank you Lily. I've seen 2 neurosurgeon since this posting and they both said no surgery. I guess I have several issues going.g on and no one knows for sure the real cause of my pain. Ugghhh
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    You being referred to neurologist sounds like very good idea.
    My pain management Doctor is also neurologist.

He did a variety of tests not done by others. In my case, the EMG showed much of what was not understood before.
    Being under pain management has been most helpful, also.

He is able to prescribe necessary meds/treatments and has plans B, C...for future, to keep the edge off the pain and keeps me out of the ER for pain control.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I, too, have been offered many differing opinions throughout the years. At one point I was set up for a four or five level lumbar fusion (can't remember). The doctor wanted to resched the day before the surgery because he had not bothered to read my file and caught something he wanted to address. I cancelled completely.

I have been in pain management for 11 years. I switched PM docs after the first one had apparently done all that she could do. My new PM is brilliant and had done some injections the other doc never did (there are so many different types and locations for the injections). He has gotten to know me and my issues and has been spot-on with injections lately.

My spine has deteriorated into a crooked mess and I am so glad I did not have the surgery. The pain is still constant but I often think it could have been worse if I'd had the surgery. Keeping the injections updated is key for me.

Due to the problems with radiating pain and such, it took a really good PM doc to zero in on the problem area that nobody else had been able to do. I have some of the same symptoms that you do. After 11 years in PM, my new doc gave me an SI injection that helped tremendously. He has also done RFA, lumbar, neck injections, etc. It is impossible to stay ahead of the pain when there are numerous problems, but you can only address one area at a time.

The decision to have or not to have surgery is a very personal, difficult decision.

Wishing you well.
    Scoliosis and other problems at every level.

2013: C-5 to C-6 ADR
    2014: C-5 to C-6 fusion/revision of failed ADR
    2014: Total hip replacement, right

Cancelled multi-level fusion - fear being more crippled and in more pain.